Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230SLK 1998
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic tells me that the drain plug on rear axle is 'rounded'. It is severely corroded and was concerned that any excessive effort to release it would damage the casing. ANy suggestions please? The car has done 152,000 miles and I am not sure when the rear axle was last checked. The car runs perfectly but I am concerned that I could hear bad noises from the back anytime!
Celebrated the 150,000 miles with a trip to the Pyrenees in Northern Spain - a week's fabulous motoring on deserted mountain roads with the top down everyday. Wonderful food and scenery - just like motoring used to be back in the 1960's!!

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,417 Posts
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Your mechanic may be right.

In the USA, we have a penetrating oil called P’Blaster. It penetrates better than Liquid Wrench or WD40. It might help to release the threads. If the plug is rounded on the outside, vice grips may supply enough grip to turn the plug. You can also file flats on edges, and use a wrench/spanner to turn the plug.

If it is an allen head fitting that is rounded, good luck. You may need to drill a hole, insert a bolt extractor, and remove plug. If that fails, drill the plug out, tap new threads, install new plug.

Some people talk about using heat to free up a stuck plug or bolt.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
A lot of cars have only a fill plug and no drain plug. The fluid is removed by either removing the cover or by inserting a plastic tube into the filll plug and pumping out as much fluid as possible. Assuming the fill plug on your car can still be removed, you shouldn't remove the drain plug until you have first removed the fill plug to be certain fluid can be added, you can use the plastic tube method to get most of the fluid out and then refill with new. This removes the risk of causing damage by trying to get the fill plug out.

·
Registered
230SLK 1998
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for both of those - I will investigate and report
Had to go into main dealer with a locking problem while I was there they diagnosed aleak from the rear axle so in a moment of weakness I asked them to fix it. they dropped back axle replaced seal and fluid and took £400+ off me! (Plus another £400+ for anew steering column lock)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts