Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally we read alot on the forums about the front springs going bust....so how about the rear springs?...This goes out to the readers who have had their rear springs collapse on them, when did it happen? In excess of 100,000 miles/KM or LESS....I heard that the rear springs last longer because the weight of engine is on the front air springs so the rear springs last far longer or that the rear springs are better designed. What are the views from the forum?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Hi, bear - mine have been no problem, so I cannot speak from my own experience - but it is comparatively rare to see problems with the rear struts. If you're considering preventive maintenance, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Yes I have noticed reading the forum that most airmatic complaints come from the failure of the front air springs rather than the rear. I guess the front holds all the weight and does all the steering work. Another factor must be engine weight because certainly keeping a S600 or S500 riding high is much harder than that of a S320. I notice that there is a difference of about 100 kg between the S500 and S320. Anyway, I am trying to hold off doing any work until Arnotts comes up with the W220 steel spring conversion kit and there is some feedback from the US drivers. I am taking a trip over the Xmas holidays and its a 1400 km drive both ways. I hope the rears hold. My mileage is now 70,000 km but I had to replace my fronts about 8,000 km ago because the lower seals went kaput on the driver's side. Wish me luck!

By the way what is the mileage on your w220? Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to u and your family!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
Of course, Arnott's has brought he price down on remanufactured units (using their improved components) to 1/4 of OE. You might want to keep the wonderful Airmatic ride, at that price.

My S-Class turned over 43333 miles (69333km) yesterday. And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came back from my Xmas break driving holiday a few days ago...drove about 1800 km in total. Everything in good shape. Car is stronger as ever. Got really good mileage on the highway at 14.2 km per litre of fuel. No problems so far on rear airmatic springs. Total distance travelled is about 108,000 km now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts