Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW today was a crazy day. Anyways, i accidently left my headlights on for about 6 hours...oops.. My battery was drained, so i gave it a jump, and vvrooom my car starts, there it goes but damn theres real intense idle. it wont go past 1200 RPM, even when you throttle it. when you throw the transmission into drive, it jerks like crazy? The ABS and ASR lights are on. I know i need a battery replacement, but i could start the car after turning the car off. I think its an issue with the alternator but I am uncertain.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
its not the alternator, try to get a fresh battery and then when you put the bat terminal let it sit for 2 minutes without doing anything, then start it. try that bud:)

·
Registered
SLK230
376 Posts
Mine did the same thing after i unhooked the battery. Freaked me out at first. I thought I had screwed up the computer. I just kept driving and it cleared up.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
My car did the same thing a few days ago. I left my lights on and the battery went dead. I jumped my car and moved about 2 blocks to infront of my house, no issues. The next day my car wouldnt start and I tried to jump it again, figuring i would need to go replace the battery. When i jumped it my car would turn on but have a really rough idle. When i pressed the gas nothing happened. I was able to put my car in reverse and drive and it would only idle foward and backward, nothing would happen when I pressed the gas. I replaced the battery and I am still having the same symptons. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
7,704 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
So I unplugged the MAF last night to see if that was the culprit, to no avail it still started in the rough idle and had no power when the gas was pushed. I then took out the K40 and didnt see any burn marks on the circuit board.... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
I forgot to mention but the BAS/ASR light is also on when i start the car. I dont have a OBD so i dont have codes. My car is a 1999 slk 230 with about 78k miles on it. It is practically immovable so i cant get to an autozone or pepboys for them to check the codes. Based on other posts im thinking it may be the crankshaft sensor, fuel pump and or fuel filter. Any guidance would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
I forgot to mention but the BAS/ASR light is also on when i start the car. I dont have a OBD so i dont have codes. My car is a 1999 slk 230 with about 78k miles on it. It is practically immovable so i cant get to an autozone or pepboys for them to check the codes. Based on other posts im thinking it may be the crankshaft sensor, fuel pump and or fuel filter. Any guidance would be apprecaited.

The BAS/ASR light is the reason your car is running bad. It will make it often idle at about 1000 rpm.s in kind of a lope up down... Bet the gas pedal dont work much either..

Most things I have read about that have to do with the brake pedal switch. Have you tried turning the stering wheel clear to the left till it stops and then to the right until it stops.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 230. Speer pulley kit. Depo euro headlights with led. Led taillights
612 Posts
I disconnected the battery for cleaning the MAF. After reconnecting the battery I had the request for radio code and the BAS light was on. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right and the BAS light went off.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
No but i will try it tonight, you are dead on about the 1000 RPM, it seems to bounce between 1000 and 1200 at a fairly consistent beat. I will read in to the brake pedal switch problems.

Thanks for the help and i will let you know what i find out.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
The sterring wheel to the left and right should fix it. It is in the owners manual as a way to reset it. page 161 if you have yours. turn left first and then right.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
I dont have the manual but i found it in another post for a later model year and followed the instructions. I turned the wheel fully to the left and then to the right and nothing happened. I also tried to remove the brake pedal switch but couldnt quite get it out. Is there a trick to getting it out? I felt the tab on it and pressed it in while trying to wiggle it out but it wouldnt budge.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K (R170). 96k Miles
100 Posts
After you press the tab on the LHS of the brake switch, turn clockwise to remove.

When re-installing, make sure the white plunger of the brake switch is fully pulled out, then before inserting fully press the brake pedal, insert the brake switch, turn counter-clockwise and gently release the brake pedal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
Thanks for the pictures link.... I just found it really hard to get my hands around, i dont think i tried turning it clockwise but i will try.

My car was running while I turned the wheel....

I also did try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, i dont think i had it off long enough (it was disconnected ~5 min) because my clock never reset.

I will try disconnecting it for a longer period tonight and returning the wheel before i mess around trying to get the switch out.

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
Is the check engine light on? If so, you really should get an OBD code reader and grab the codes before you leave the battery unplugged for extended time, because you will lose the codes.

Have you checked all your fuses to make sure nothing popped while jumping the car?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
The only light that is on is the BAS/ASR light. I checked all the fuses in the box on the driverside but didnt check anything else in the ECU except for the K40.

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
If you have no CEL, then you most likely have no ECU damage. In this case, it sounds like K40 or CPS.

Do you have a multimeter to check voltage? If so, check the voltage at the battery with car off, then check voltage at battery with car running. With car off, it should be floating around 12 volts. With car running it should be about 14 volts. Pretty sure it's not your alternator though, since you didn't have problems prior to leaving headlights on.

Also, fill out your profile info, so we can more easily know what kind of car you have (instead of having to check back through the thread), and also your location. Someone may be near you who can help.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
33 Posts
Dont have a multimeter but maybe able to borrow one this weekend. I looked into removing the CPS from other posts, is there a way to tell it is bad without the codes? I am going to try the brake pedal switch first then look into the CPS.... The k40 looked pretty good to me, i dont think it is that.

Sorry im from Chicago, 99 SLK 230, i added the info to my profile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts