Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MB mechanic got my ADS to work today!!!!

I was missing the ADS-warning bulb in the cluster. That was what locked the ADS!!!
He got a code during the diagnose that pointed to the warning light.

He said that without the warning lamp the system locks out (Stays in firm mode).
He put one in and now the ADS works!!!

The car is so soft and comfortable!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The system will also lock itself if the bulb breaks.

I´m so happy about this. The ADS have been firm in 7 years!!:eek: From the day my father bought it till yesterday.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you guys actually feel the difference? I guess mine is not working then. I have a 97 S600 and when I press the botton (light comes on) but the ride stays the same. The light in the cluster works because I have seen it a few times. What's broken and where should I start looking? Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the warning light is'nt on there is nothing wrong with the system so it should work.

Sheck oil level under the hood under the little plastic cover behind the driver side head light.

The difference between sport and comfort is not that big. I can feel that the car, in sport mode, gets a bit more bouncy and firm.

In comfort mode the car gets very soft but the ADS still prevents the car from lurching.

My mechanic told me that a couple of bushings in the rear axel is bad/worn. Presumably due to the locked suspension for so long. Those bushings also makes a terrible noice when I drive in bumps. First I thought it was the shocks themselfs but it is the bushings. Replacing those bushings will make the ADS even more effective. My mechanis said that those bad bushings affects one of the ADS vertical sensors in the rear axel making a delay in the system.

Man I love my mechanic!!! :D

When my car had firm locked ADS it wasnt actully locked in sport mode as many thinks.
It was totally shut down. All four solenoides adjusting the oil circulation was powerless making the car firmer than it is i sport mode.

The difference now is that the ADS really prevents the car from lurching when turning or breaking or accelerates. I can feel a huge difference now compare to before.

Here you can se one of the solenoides that is working all the time when you are driving.

Number 8 is the bad bushing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great info Jonathan, thanks. I'm guessing my accumulators might have ruptured rubber inside as well? Would you happen to have any part numbers for the bushings? Regards.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey I have a question would the ASR lock in like that if I took the bulb out to? or would it stop coming on all together?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
gha000 >> Here you can look for your cars bushing part number.

tommyb2b >> Replace all brocken varning bulbs is my tip!
Somebody also told me that if the alternator/charging warning bulb breaks the battery charging stops!

pcmaher >> Correct! Everything I know I've learned from you ADS writing.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice job Jonathan and pc. When Sebastian had ADS issues the firm ride was just aweful. And yes, you can feel everything the road throws at you. such a wonderful difference when it is in comfy mode. at one point i was willing to have my indie remove or over ride or something or other just to get it out of firm mode once and for all. i never use the firm mode and could do well w/o it. but he found the answer in the steering angle sensor and now all is well. i can't tell you how close i was to having him forever disable the firm mode.

at any rate, thanks for the info. enjoy the comfy ride, a ride like no other.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He also told me that if the car has been powerless/battery unplugde you have to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. This is to initiate/calibrate the steering wheel sensor. The ADS doesnt work until that's done.

·
Registered
638 Posts
When my steering angle sensor was acting up I had to do the same thing, all the way left then all the way right to the maximum stops and when I returned it to center the 3 dash lights would go off and my ride would return to the wonderful comfy mode.

He also told me that if the car has been powerless/battery unplugde you have to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. This is to initiate/calibrate the steering wheel sensor. The ADS doesnt work until that's done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts