Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #61
BTW AG129 ... a big THANK YOU for your bulb suggestions for the xenons, high beams and fog lamps (y)

Best regards

Registered
1991 500SL
Houston we have lights :LOL:

I was able to complete the installation of the new ballast for the R129 xenon headlamps, high beams and fog lights :) + (y) , including bringing back to MB OE wiring connections for the headlamps and fog lamps. :)

I, incidentally, fitted black powder coated aluminum expanded wire, on the inner fender covers and that of the plastic sump shield...just in case mice/rats decide to have my harnesses for their meals. o_O

...but sadly, I did encounter 2 small detail problems :cry: , if you noticed from the pictures attached, there was a "yellowish" glow due to the small park light bulbs inside the xenon headlamps. Any suggestions as to what type "white" bulbs I can use...so that they all have the "white glow", and while we're at it, any suggestions also for the front signal light lamps...as I wanted to have all "white glow"

BTW, I got the surprise of my life o_O + :cry: , while trying to set the headlight adjustments...I discovered that the lens were meant for "right hand drive" ... so I had no choice but to order again from MB Classic Center Irvine USA, the correct lenses. I hope to get them by next weekend. I never knew this, as I hardly used the car at night before.

Best regards to all :)
Hey Chicky

Congrats on getting your lights working. Can you post a pic of your light pattern on a wall. If it looks like this _/ _/ then it is left hand drive. I don't believe that the lenses dictate left and right hand drive as there is no pattern in front of the Xenon projector lens. I believe the left vs right hand drive is inside the projector itself. There is a lever inside the housing that controls the beam pattern. You can push it down for a flat symmetrical pattern if you so wish.

When ordering from the US, keep in mind you will probably end up with American spec xenon headlight lenses not the Euro ones. The difference is subtle, American spec have a pattern in front of the H1 high beam, whereas Euro headlights have a more clean look to them like yours do now.

As for the small halogen standing lights, I prefer the contrast of the yellow bulbs with the blue HIDs. If you want a white bulb, then you need an LED. Just be careful to get one that doesn't give you an error in the dash.

Same thing goes for the blinkers, personally I have full amber blinkers with amber LED bulbs inside them. My car is black and I like that look. If you want a more white bulb, then you should look for LEDs but keep in mind it will take a lot of trial and error to find bulbs that don't cause a hyper flash or error in the dash.

I'll post some pics of my car with amber signals, and I'll post some of the Euro vs American HID lenses if I find them.

You are quite welcome, glad I can be of some help 馃憤

Attachments

Registered
1991 500SL
Chicky

These part numbers are for the US spec HID lenses

A1298203066 Right/Passenger Side USA
A1298202966 Left/Driver Side USA

These are the part numbers for the European spec HID lenses

A1298202566 Left/Driver Side European
A1298202666 Right/Passenger Side European

These appear to be for Left Hand Traffic as per the catalogue here. Maybe you are right regarding the lenses being asymmetric.

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #64
Hi AG129 :)

WOW your car looks so pristine (y) , and thank you for the attached pics of the xenon headlamps.

"glad I can be of some help" ... you are very modest, you've been a great help to me (y)

With regards to "If it looks like this _/ _/ then it is left hand drive." ... it's the other way around o_O , definitely the pattern for "right hand drive". :( Anyway, I did put in an order with Tom/MB Classic Center, for the USA version of the lens, hopefully, it will arrive Manila by 15Dec :rolleyes: IMHO, the prices for the USA version lenses are not too bad, about US$125 each. Tom/MB Classic Center will be on vacation this coming week, I'll ask him about pricing and availability of the European lenses :), thank you for the part numbers (y)

Since you did not change the small "yellow" tinge bulbs and that of the front signal lights...I wont change them for the moment, as me experimenting with bulb changes might result in "bulb out" light on the dash. I'll just wait for anyone recommending bulbs that they installed on their cars :sneaky: hehehe

Also, I hope you don't mind my using of emoticons in my replies...as I feel that typing replies is devoid of the sender's "feelings" on the matter, and the use of these emoticons reflects my intent/feelings on the matter.

Again, a big THANK YOU for your help on my problems (y) ... I'll post the pictures of the lenses and light pattern when they arrive.

Best regards

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #65
OFF TOPIC QUESTION

BTW AG129, would you happen to know of a used M119.960 6 liter engine + transmission + electronics for sale there?

Registered
1991 500SL
OFF TOPIC QUESTION

BTW AG129, would you happen to know of a used M119.960 6 liter engine + transmission + electronics for sale there?
Hahahaha you and me both. I've been looking for such an engine for ages to complete the AMG transformation of my car and nothing popped up at all, not even in the UAE.

Thank you for your kinds words about my car. As for the beam pattern, have you tried adjusting the lever inside the headlight?

Also when your lenses finally arrive, try to post some night shots of your lights and how they illuminate the road ahead.

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #67

I'll definitely post night pictures of my lights with the new lens and with the road ahead.

When my indie was "assembling" the xenon headlamps, after installing the bulbs and re-newed harness connections, I pointed it out to him, that it supposedly "flattens" the beams. I will tell him to make sure to do it, during the headlight alignment and height setting.

Best regards,

Registered
1991 500SL

I'll definitely post night pictures of my lights with the new lens and with the road ahead.

When my indie was "assembling" the xenon headlamps, after installing the bulbs and re-newed harness connections, I pointed it out to him, that it supposedly "flattens" the beams. I will tell him to make sure to do it, during the headlight alignment and height setting.

Best regards,
Cool, looking forward to it. It would be a good idea to install some headlight protection film on your new lenses.

M20
For the turn signals I suggest using the philips silversion bulbs. No egg yolk look when off and lights up amber when needed. For the city lights the practical way is using LEDs

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #70

Best regards,
Cool, looking forward to it. It would be a good idea to install some headlight protection film on your new lenses.

I will research on the protective headlight film, I think the guys at 500Eboard have discussions on the matter. would you happen to have a brand?

Best regards

Registered
1991 R129 500SL
Discussion Starter #71
For the turn signals I suggest using the philips silversion bulbs. No egg yolk look when off and lights up amber when needed. For the city lights the practical way is using LEDs
Hi z168 :)

Thank you for your suggestion of using the Philips Silversion bulbs (y), would you happen to know the particular model type for the R129?

For the city lights, I'll email this company: www.bettercarlighting.co.uk , I saw their ad on a Mercedes Driver (British print magazine). Keeping my fingers crossed that they do have plenty of experience with MB car lighting. their ad has pictures of dashboard lighting bulbs, rear taillight bulbs and also for headlight upgrades.

Best regards

Registered
1991 500SL

Best regards,

I will research on the protective headlight film, I think the guys at 500Eboard have discussions on the matter. would you happen to have a brand?

Best regards
Hey Chicky

I had Xpel Ultimate on the front half of my car for a few years. Basically a full hood, front bumper, headlights, foglights, A-Pillars, wing mirrors, fuel filler door, trunk and the three piece AMG spoiler. Come to think of it, I should have done the entire car :)

It's been working great for a long time. One day I damaged my front fenders paint during rolling the fenders and had to paint them again and apply a new paint protection film. The new one started showing swirl marks in approximately a year. Maybe the shop used a different brand or something of lower quality.

If you can verify that it is the genuine Xpel Ultimate, then I would use that. Or if you find something better, then let me know too. I'm sure something better would have popped up in the last few years.

Here's a link:

Oh and I wouldn't take their claim of 10 years seriously. Max is three years if you are lucky

61 - 72 of 72 Posts