Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to ask if anyone has the MB EPC drawing and parts list for the R129 xenon headlight? I need to order the bulb and ballast for that system.

I have attached an MB EPC drawing but it's for the standard headlights used on the R129, it's just reference for what I meant, for the xenon system.

Also, I wanted to ask, if anyone has the specifications, as to the bulb type used for the xenon system?

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,924 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to ask if anyone has the MB EPC drawing and parts list for the R129 xenon headlight? I need to order the bulb and ballast for that system.

I have attached an MB EPC drawing but it's for the standard headlights used on the R129, it's just reference for what I meant, for the xenon system.

Also, I wanted to ask, if anyone has the specifications, as to the bulb type used for the xenon system?

Thank you in advance :)
xenon drawing and complete part list data from the new Mercedes Xentry parts portal attached as a PDF file

I used the vin from my 2000 SL500 (has xenon's), to get this, don't see the words ballast, perhaps control unit is what it's called by MB. Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Good morning from Manila Aero 1, as it's 5:12am over here

A big THANK YOU , for your reply and PDF document (y) ... highly appreciated.

I do have another question, hopefully, you may have "come across" this concept. I was discussing my problem of the passenger side low beam not lighting up...he recommended that instead of buying the expensive MB OE xenon bulbs, why not use (more "powerful/brighter(?) LED bulbs)... have you encountered any such conversions?

Best regards

Chicky

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
:) Good morning from Manila Aero 1, as it's 5:12am over here

A big THANK YOU , for your reply and PDF document (y) ... highly appreciated.

I do have another question, hopefully, you may have "come across" this concept. I was discussing my problem of the passenger side low beam not lighting up...he recommended that instead of buying the expensive MB OE xenon bulbs, why not use (more "powerful/brighter(?) LED bulbs)... have you encountered any such conversions?

Best regards

Chicky
Hello Chicky

The xenon low beam bulbs are D2S. Personally I use the Osram Cool Blue Intense instead of the Mercedes OEM. They are both brighter and offer a slight cool white look, around 6000 Kelvin.

Osram now offers a new model called Osram Cool Blue Boost 7000K, which supposedly offers an even brighter light with a cool white look. I will update to these once my CBI die out. These are also rated at 6000 Kelvin despite the name.

Their brightest xenon bulb however is the Osram Nightbreaker Laser. They claim up to 200% more brightness and range over the standard xenon bulb, even though it has the same 3200 lumens rating of both the bulbs mentioned above. Keep in mind this one is rated at 4500 Kelvin, so it wouldn't give you this cool white look, more like a warm white.

I have the halogen H1 version of the nightbreakers in my high beams. They are quite powerful but yellowish.

I think the stock Mercedes bulb is more of a 4000-4500 Kelvin bulb

Oh and btw LEDs are not as powerful as factory HID xenons. Watch some videos on YouTube that compare the two and you will find that HID xenons are only superceded by the new laser lights. LEDs would work better for flashing or replacing Halogens, as they don't need time to warm up unlike Xenons.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello AG129,

Thank you for your inputs and the link (y) ... highly appreciated. I will try looking for the OSRAM Nightbreakers D2S and also the H1 version for the high beams.

When I went to the link for the XENARC Cool Blue Boost Off-Road, there was no specific D2S type bulbs, may I ask which is needed for our R129 xenons?

I'll update when I'm able to source these bulbs + pictures (taken at night) :)

I'll have the headlight assemblies removed from the car, so I can inspect if there are anything loose with the electrical connections.

BTW, I was able to watch on youtube, a comparative analysis between halogen bulbs, HID and LED's ... really very informative :) , that's why I'll follow your advice regarding the use of the OSRAM's

Best regards

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hello AG129,

Thank you for your inputs and the link (y) ... highly appreciated. I will try looking for the OSRAM Nightbreakers D2S and also the H1 version for the high beams.

When I went to the link for the XENARC Cool Blue Boost Off-Road, there was no specific D2S type bulbs, may I ask which is needed for our R129 xenons?

I'll update when I'm able to source these bulbs + pictures (taken at night) :)

I'll have the headlight assemblies removed from the car, so I can inspect if there are anything loose with the electrical connections.

BTW, I was able to watch on youtube, a comparative analysis between halogen bulbs, HID and LED's ... really very informative :) , that's why I'll follow your advice regarding the use of the OSRAM's

Best regards
Hey Chicky

Here's a link from Amazon for the D2S Osram Cool Blue Boost 7000K.

OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue Boost D2S Xenon Car Headlight Bulbs (Twin) 66240CBB-HCB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771VZ353/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zSqMDb81HNGG0

If you buy these off of Amazon or Ebay, just make sure they are genuine and not Chinese Knockoffs. You can tell from the reviews and also compare the packaging to the one on the Osram website.

If I were you, I would also separate the glass and just clean the inside of the reflector. But don't use water as it might eat away the chrome finish. Just use some air to blow off the dust and a maybe a dry microfiber towel. When I purchased my new lights and installed the Cool Blue Intense bulbs there was a huge difference between my previous used Xenon headlamps and the new ones with CBI.

I think you will be quite happy with the Cool Blue Boost in terms of color and brightness. If you want maximum brightness, then go with the Nightbreaker Laser but you will get a slightly more warmish/yellowish white.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow night and post them here for you to see.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi AG129

THANK YOU again for the Amazon link, for the bulbs (y), it's highly appreciated.

Yesterday, I had my indie mechanic, remove the non-functioning passenger side D2S bulb, cleaned the "chrome reflector" with a micro fiber cloth + facial tissue, and also the inner side of the glass lens. there was an obvious "newer" look when assembled and compared to my driver's side headlight :)

Today, I'll look around for a local stockist for the OSRAM D2S bulbs, if available over here. If not, I'll put an order with Amazon, for the Cool Blue Intense. May I ask you for a link, regarding the H1 bulbs Night Breakers, so that I can also "upgrade" them?

Best regards

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hi AG129

THANK YOU again for the Amazon link, for the bulbs (y), it's highly appreciated.

Yesterday, I had my indie mechanic, remove the non-functioning passenger side D2S bulb, cleaned the "chrome reflector" with a micro fiber cloth + facial tissue, and also the inner side of the glass lens. there was an obvious "newer" look when assembled and compared to my driver's side headlight :)

Today, I'll look around for a local stockist for the OSRAM D2S bulbs, if available over here. If not, I'll put an order with Amazon, for the Cool Blue Intense. May I ask you for a link, regarding the H1 bulbs Night Breakers, so that I can also "upgrade" them?

Best regards
Hey Chicky

Thought I'd take some pics at night to show you how they look like to a certain extent. Keep in mind these are taken with a phone and aren't of the best quality or color accuracy but they are quite close.

The low beam pics are Xenon D2S Osram Cool Blue Intense, the high beam pics are of the H1 Nightbreaker laser. I also have H1 Cool Blue Intense in my foglights to try to match the color temperature of the Xenon
D2S
Also keep in mind, my front windshield has a bit of a green/grey tint

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H1, next generation, 150% more brightness, halogen headlamp, 64150NL-HCB, 12V, passenger car, duo box (2 lamps) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXH9352/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8RNMDb7PR19AY

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi AG129,

:love: love the results of the bulb changes. I will order from amazon the 3 different bulbs, the D2S Osram cool blue Intense, the Osram H1 Nightbreaker Lasers and the Osram H1 cool Blue Intense.

Thank you for your patience in helping me out. I'll post pictures, after the installations. (y)+ :)

Best regards

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hi AG129,

:love: love the results of the bulb changes. I will order from amazon the 3 different bulbs, the D2S Osram cool blue Intense, the Osram H1 Nightbreaker Lasers and the Osram H1 cool Blue Intense.

Thank you for your patience in helping me out. I'll post pictures, after the installations. (y)+ :)

Best regards
👍glad to be of help Chicky. The Cool Blue Boost are supposed to be an upgrade of the Cool Blue Intense. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I probably will next time I need to change my D2S Bulbs.

Looking forward to your install pics.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
👍glad to be of help Chicky. The Cool Blue Boost are supposed to be an upgrade of the Cool Blue Intense. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I probably will next time I need to change my D2S Bulbs.

Looking forward to your install pics.
Hi AG129,

I ordered the 3 different bulbs, as you suggested, from Amazon. The expected delivery date, to my friend in L.A., is on the 18th of October. Two of the bulbs will be sent by Amazon, the 3rd is coming from another company,that's why I had to request my friend, to consolidate them into 1 carton...then send them to my freight forwarder (who doesn't do consolidation o_O) for air shipment to Manila.

Once they arrive and are fitted to my car, I'll post the pictures here.

Best regards :)

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hi AG129,

I ordered the 3 different bulbs, as you suggested, from Amazon. The expected delivery date, to my friend in L.A., is on the 18th of October. Two of the bulbs will be sent by Amazon, the 3rd is coming from another company,that's why I had to request my friend, to consolidate them into 1 carton...then send them to my freight forwarder (who doesn't do consolidation o_O) for air shipment to Manila.

Once they arrive and are fitted to my car, I'll post the pictures here.

Best regards :)
Cool bro, looking forward to seeing them on the car 👍

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello AG129'

UPDATE: The bulbs have arrived last Saturday :), and this morning, had my Indie over, to install them...however, there were problems o_O.

Please see attached pictures:

With regards to the xenon bulb, I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with the ballast, since the bulb is new. BTW, the driver side bulbs are all working. Any suggestions, as to how I may diagnose the "non-functioning" xenon bulb? Please refer to "IMG_3334.jpg" image, for the xenon bulb ballast.

When I removed and replaced (with new) the non-functioning passenger side xenon bulb...it still didn't light up :cry:, then when I had the high-beam bulb replaced, we discovered that the originally installed H1 bulb had a what seemed to be: "electrical harness", compared to the Osram H1 bulb. Please refer to image "IMG_3335.jpg". May I ask how you were able to "install" this type of bulb into your headlight?

I would really appreciate any info/help on the problems.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hello AG129'

UPDATE: The bulbs have arrived last Saturday :), and this morning, had my Indie over, to install them...however, there were problems o_O.

Please see attached pictures:

With regards to the xenon bulb, I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with the ballast, since the bulb is new. BTW, the driver side bulbs are all working. Any suggestions, as to how I may diagnose the "non-functioning" xenon bulb? Please refer to "IMG_3334.jpg" image, for the xenon bulb ballast.

When I removed and replaced (with new) the non-functioning passenger side xenon bulb...it still didn't light up :cry:, then when I had the high-beam bulb replaced, we discovered that the originally installed H1 bulb had a what seemed to be: "electrical harness", compared to the Osram H1 bulb. Please refer to image "IMG_3335.jpg". May I ask how you were able to "install" this type of bulb into your headlight?

I would really appreciate any info/help on the problems.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Hey Chicky

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Image 3334 is not showing up here, did you upload it? As I only see 6 images uploaded.

I would try to install all bulbs on the working driver side headlight and make sure all bulbs are functioning properly.

The H1 bulb has a connector that plugs on to it. I'll try to see if I have some pictures to explain it better. But for me it was plug and play. Maybe someone played around with the wires in your passenger side headlight. Both the D2S and H1 bulbs should fit plug and play.

If both bulbs work, then I would try sourcing a ballast and testing it on your passenger headlight, to see if indeed it is a ballast problem. You can switch over the driver side I believe as both are identical with the exception of the passenger side having a longer harness to the ballast.

·
M20
4,791 Posts
Ah got it. High beams should be clean plug and play. If the passenger side is having problems, I agree to swap the bulb first between left and right then the ballast to isolate the problem

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello AG129 & z168 :)

First off, please allow me to thank you both for your replies. Also, I would like to apologize for my long post :cry:

Please allow me to give a short backgrounder, when I bought the car (Japan version R129066/M119960), it came with ROTW headlights. In 2008, I had the car disassembled for restoration, which included the fitment of the xenon headlight system. These were done at the MB dealership. I specifically requested the MB electrician tech, to follow the retrofitting
instructions of MB WIS, but didn't follow up (my BAD :oops:) ...

I will have the indie mechanic, install the new D2S bulb on the driver/working side, to check if the new bulb functions, and to check also if the H1 (high beam) connector is the same as the problematic passenger side H1 connector, as suggested.

AG129, I do hope you find the pictures you have, just so that I would have an idea of what the "original" connectors for the H1 high beams look like. BTW AG129, the "GODS must be on my side :D", as my parts guy has a brand new ballast in his workshop, and is actually being picked up, as I type this. If after trying the new bulbs on the driver's side is proven to work, then I will replace the ballast with the new one.

Please note the attached pictures:
a. IMG_3330 is a picture of the passenger side connectors (the xenon and high beam)
b. IMG_3332 is a picture of the H1 high beam connector
c. IMG_3338 again, is a picture of the H! connector
d. IMG_3339 is the igniter for the H! current bulb fitted
e. IMG_0341 is (Ithink) the ballast, as fitted on the exterior of the xenon headlight assembly, directly under the H1
bulb

I hope this pictures will help you gentlemen in solving my H1 problem connectors.

Again, thank you for helping me out.

Best regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 500SL
125 Posts
Hello AG129 & z168 :)

First off, please allow me to thank you both for your replies. Also, I would like to apologize for my long post :cry:

Please allow me to give a short backgrounder, when I bought the car (Japan version R129066/M119960), it came with ROTW headlights. In 2008, I had the car disassembled for restoration, which included the fitment of the xenon headlight system. These were done at the MB dealership. I specifically requested the MB electrician tech, to follow the retrofitting
instructions of MB WIS, but didn't follow up (my BAD :oops:) ...

I will have the indie mechanic, install the new D2S bulb on the driver/working side, to check if the new bulb functions, and to check also if the H1 (high beam) connector is the same as the problematic passenger side H1 connector, as suggested.

AG129, I do hope you find the pictures you have, just so that I would have an idea of what the "original" connectors for the H1 high beams look like. BTW AG129, the "GODS must be on my side :D", as my parts guy has a brand new ballast in his workshop, and is actually being picked up, as I type this. If after trying the new bulbs on the driver's side is proven to work, then I will replace the ballast with the new one.

Please note the attached pictures:
a. IMG_3330 is a picture of the passenger side connectors (the xenon and high beam)
b. IMG_3332 is a picture of the H1 high beam connector
c. IMG_3338 again, is a picture of the H! connector
d. IMG_3339 is the igniter for the H! current bulb fitted
e. IMG_0341 is (Ithink) the ballast, as fitted on the exterior of the xenon headlight assembly, directly under the H1
bulb

I hope this pictures will help you gentlemen in solving my H1 problem connectors.

Again, thank you for helping me out.

Best regards,
Hi Chicky

The pictures you have don't like like the factory setup for the OEM xenon headlamps. The ballast looks different and the connector to the H1 bulb looks different. Also the ignitor looks different as on my car it is placed inside the headlamp unit.

I'll post some internet pictures of the ballast and ignitor, and I'll also try to get you some pictures of my own car. Even if your lights were American spec Xenons I believe the only difference was the pattern on the headlight lenses, to match the American spec DOT regulation.

I'll try to get you some pictures from my own car for comparison. For not I'll attach pics off the internet.

I've attached pictures of the ballast, the ignitor, and the headlight unit with the ballast.

Download.jpeg is the ignitor
R129 headlight ballast.jpg is the ballast

I'll try to get you pics of the H1 bulb holder on my car

EDIT: Chicky I think someone was trying to fit a Xenon bulb in place of your high beam H1 halogen bulb. Is the ignitor you posted connected to the high beam? If so then someone definitely changed the halogen high beam setup for a xenon aftermarket high beam setup.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts