Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Our 87 560SL has a Kenwood CD Stereo with upgraded speakers in the dash and surface mount speakers that sit snugly yet unattached on the kinderseat in the back.

The quality isn't great and we want to return to the factory look, so we purchased a Becker radio with the ipod connection from Becker, a nice 4 channel Alpine amp to put in the trunk and upgraded Pioneer 3-way surface mount speakers to sit in the backseat.

We took it to one of the "premier" audio places here in Fort Lauderdale ( SAT Treatments ) and they bascially told us that we were going to have to purchase the wiring harness in order to use the original radio as well as the wiring schematics for the radio. Does that sound correct as we will be running everything off of the Amp right? I couldn't find info about this on the thread but it seems as if someone on here has had to deal with this stuff before for a reinstallation after a PO removed the original.

They also want over $450.00 to install it!!!:eek: I wish I had the tech know-how to do it myself but I really don't. Does anyone know of a great audio place in South Florida that does good, high-quality work? All of the Audio places tend to look shady and I don't want to leave the car there for fear I'll come back to drilled holes and cracked wood!

Thanks for sharing any stories/feedback/opinions/advice!!

Brett & James

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,441 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
47 Posts
Where did you buy the Becker head unit? I want to upgrade mine but keep the factory look and it'd be great if I could get something with more function than their crappy old one that doesn't have any EQs or inputs. Not to mention I don't even own any cassette tapes any more.

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
47 Posts
As for the install... it all depends on what they are going to do. I'd charge something like that for an install if the wiring was all screwed up. I hate those crimp connectors in the pics posted above. I always solder and heat shrink all my connections. I don't know if there are adapter harnesses for these cars like there are for newer cars but when I go to do my upgrade when I find a proper head unit I will be making a adapter harness so that I don't have to splice into the factory harness.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,149 Posts
Did you get this done, how much did it cost?

Do you have a picture?

Thanks
I don't have one personally. I recall it being about 90$US, plus postage both ways.

I'll look and see if I can finds the link to their advertisement/webpage...

Edit: Try this link...http://www.beckerautosound.com/780-1988/index.html
My mistake as to the jack being mounted on the back of the radio (may have been Strife's work, or another, that I am recalling). The Becker is a break-out box, that can be remote mounted, according to their web page.

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
Okay, I see how it would be plugged in the back.

I'm not clear from the link -- what do I do to switch to the rear input? Or is it always on whenever a jack is plugged in?

I'm thinking, since I haven't yet gotten around to setting up my carputer, and since GPS is now on most smart phones, so there's really no reason to need a video screen anymore, a jack like this would allow a much simpler carputer (which I could control with my Droid through wifi) than I'd need otherwise.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,149 Posts
...I'm not clear from the link -- what do I do to switch to the rear input? Or is it always on whenever a jack is plugged in?...
I interpret the literature as, FM when unplugged, AUX when Plugged. This for the 780 Becker. The earlier, the radio could be tuned either FM or AM. BTW, this is NOT a modulator, but hardwired, in case the above should lead one to believe incorrectly.

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
I interpret the literature as, FM when unplugged, AUX when Plugged. This for the 780 Becker. The earlier, the radio could be tuned either FM or AM. BTW, this is NOT a modulator, but hardwired, in case the above should lead one to believe incorrectly.
I was wondering, it seemed it might depend on whether it was plugged in or not. I figured if that were the case, I could cut the cable before the plug and add a switch, since I'd likely have the plug out of sight.

I have a 612 Becker and from what I could find, that was what was likely in a 1985 380SL. The others are different, but not so different that it's obvious to many people.

I'm re-thinking my whole design idea, since I have a smart phone now, I might add a USB plug that hides behind the cassette door and can be pulled out to plug the phone into for charging and I could use the phone to control the system. I'm not sure, though. The aux plug on an early Becker and a bluetooth smart phone (I swore, for a long time, I'd never get a smart phone) opens up so many possibilities I'm not sure what path to take yet.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Usually what is done in this type of retrofit is to put the jack in series between the detector / demodulator and the audio amps. Just find a spot in the circuitry where the levels are about the same, and put in a jack that opens (or terminates) off the input from one side. Then send the signal from the plug that's jacked in to the audio section.

Putting a switch in the cable wouldn't work, because the "switching" is done by the jack itself.

Did this back in tech school to use a TV as a monitor for a primitive computer (Z80 based :eek: )

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts