Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: End of the G - Marketing and Advertising?

Ok, so we're all upset about the mismanagement of the G, in particular to how it is mismarketed to soccer moms and that the true heritage of this wonderful vehicle is not taken advantage of in any marketing and advertising.

So my question here is who here is in marketing or advertising. I work in brand development. Surely amongst all us G owners there must be others in this field. We could get togther a small team and put together a marketing and advertising proposal for this noble vehicle and present it to MB international.

Amongst us we obviously have the contacts and know who to present to. I don't have the time to put it all together on my own, nor the marketing experience, but if others are willing...

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

Back in the day, as a teenager, I worked in advertising and marketing (it was for a newspaper). I'm not that internet Savvy (I know HTML), but I'll be happy to contribute some of my knowledge and time if we stand a shot at saving the G. We should take a stab at the ultra luxurious G500 as well as the stripped down W461 Civilian model.

The first thing to do is nail our demographics: who are those who will purchase the G500 as well as those who will purchase the civilian W461? Next, let's set a suitable target price for each model. Then we take a look at which model(s) we want to market. Finally we present the G as it is, without any apologies or excuses.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Jeeps

Don't mistake my intentions, I'm still very much attached to the G. And for those who're interested in submitting a proposed marketing scheme of the G in hopes of getting MB to continue production, count me in.

However, after looking online, I found out that Jeep's next generation Wrangler will come in two doors and four doors. The four door will be approx. the same size as the Rescue concept; the front end of the new Jeep Wrangler will look exactly similar to the concept Jeep Gladiator (everything from the B-piller forward). In otherwords, from the rear of the front doors to the front of the vehicle.

I see the soul of our beloved G in this 4-door Wrangler dubbed "Rescue" concept.

Gladiator:

Rescue:

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ok, so what do we know about:

1) MB's perceived G consumer
2) The real G consumer
3) Sales figures
4) What sort of numbers of 'our real' G owner exist?
a) Current
b) Potential
5) What is the mean income of a G owner who
a) uses it as it is meant
b) is a soccer mom
6) etc etc..

Lets start getting facts and figures. We will need to know current, potential... cross reference them against Jeep, Range Rover, Hummer...

Then we can beging to look at how to best target potential owners who would appreciate the G for what it really is...

If there is enough interest, then perhaps I can set up a seperate forum for our discussions...

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Seperate Forum

Maxwell Smart - 4/10/2005 5:22 PM

If there is enough interest, then perhaps I can set up a seperate forum for our discussions...
A GREAT idea!

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

Maxwell Smart - 4/10/2005 4:22 PM

1) MB's perceived G consumer
2) The real G consumer
3) Sales figures
4) What sort of numbers of 'our real' G owner exist?
a) Current
b) Potential
5) What is the mean income of a G owner who
a) uses it as it is meant
b) is a soccer mom
6) etc etc..
1) Mercedes-Benz perceived the G consumer as one who is affluent, has gobs of money and is interested in Luxury, sophistication, durability, and the luxury of having a superb 4wd system. They also are looking at Hollywood and those who want to BLING-BLING their vehicles.

2) Some of the real G consumers are those who put utility and the need for 4wd first before anything else. Others are those who like to explore the outdoors and have a sense of adventure. Others are those who want a vehicle that's different than all the cookie cutter SUVs out there.

Regardless of who they are, these people who have a need for the Gelaendewagen demand durability, excellent capable 4wd offroad performance, and a rig that is affordable, easy to maintain and upgrade. Not everyone is looking for the GPS navigation system, the electronic gizmos, electronic differential lockers, electronic A/C, leather, etc. They're also looking for a vehicle that's easy to operate and one for which they can use for their towing needs. This person is most likely to spend $30K+ on a utility vehicle (a loaded Jeep Rubicon sells for under $30K)

Real G customers are looking for a V8 gasoline engine or a diesel engine mated to either an automatic or manual transmission. The diff lockers could be manual. Most importantly, real G customers are looking for a vehicle that has a solid build quality with an army's stamp of approval - tested in the harshest climates, and yet the G withstood it all.

They aren't looking for too much comfort inside, they're looking for substance in the vehicle. In other words everything a civilian W461 offers.

As far as the rest, I'm sure we can do some research and pull the numbers. The last I checked, Mercedes sold 9,000 G500's in 2003.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
RE: End of the G

As we've all mentioned ad nausem, the problem with mercedes is not limited to the G- they are truly clueless (and it is impossible for them to get a handle on the market.) Do you remember the late 70's, when driving a mercedes meant something- usually the owner was a doctor or a lawyer. Now you see 18 year olds with brand new C classes- I've owned a half dozen (my last car before my G was this 220se), and the elegant, simple design seems to be a thing of the past.
m

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 280GE
81 Posts

As a potential marketing major in business school I'll jump at the chance. Count me in. Is anyone taking the lead that may be able to give me some direction to avoid overlapping duties? It'd be great to keep these trucks going as long as they can.

·
Registered
1997 290 GD T (461)
16 Posts

If we know that the G 270 CDI "Worker" is being sold in Switzerland to government agencies, in the US by Stewart and Stevenson to military and governemnt agencies (see http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1206323&posts=3&fid=30) and by DaimlerChrysler directly to military users all over the world, then it seems clear that the production of this G variant is not about to stop. Or am I wrong, maybe??

If production of this variant is set to continue, there would be no problem in targetting a civilian version to those who want a 4x4 with military capablities, "as used by the US Marines" etc, i.e. a Mercedes off road vehicle with a Hummer-type cachet but without the bling factor.

BTW, asking price for the Worker in Switzerland is CHF 70,000, equivalent to $US 58,000, which I think is about $10,000 too much, but still.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: Horribly deceived

BrentG500 - 4/12/2005 8:01 PM

It looks like the G270 is available in the USA. We should petition the government or get them to sell us some armoured G's.

I wouldn't mind this one:
But that and the previous post aren't just any old G270... its an armoured version. And if I'm not mistaken, the G is the only Mercedes that can withstand B7....

Anyhow is no one else interested in putting together a proposal to present to MB?

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts

Don't need the armour, but do like the panache. Face it our 25+ year old design is toast. Whatever - For myself I plan on keeping my Tectite 2003 "forever".

I like the way it looks, drives, tows, etc. Cool truck, and very distinctive. I don't think that I will ever tire of this storied vehicle. But hey, I have a 73 Karmann Ghia in my garage too !

Let's all hope that MB uses the "G" nomenclature for something more deserving, down the road. PS - I like that JEEP prototype - very cool. Build it - may as well, apparently MB is not going too right now... you will sell a ton of them. [8D]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
the march to MBUSA

Or what if all of us G owners in the USA (maybe those in Canada and Mexico) drive down together to MBUSA in New Jersey(?) to protest the new G? All the better if we were armed with our new marketing campaign.

Never underestimate the power of G-wagen people in groups... [8D]

Sorry, the non drug using hippie tranced in for a few seconds... he's gone now and will not be returning...ever. [:D] [:)]

·
Registered
1997 290 GD T (461)
16 Posts

Maxwell, the 461 Swiss Worker models are not armoured and the US 461 version has armour as an option.

It looks as if Mercedes is set to continue producing the 461 G for a restricted civilian market in parallel to the military 461s. I believe these restrictions might be lifted once the mainstream successor model, based on the ML, has been launched.

These considerations need to be weighed for your planned proposal to Mercedes.

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

castellar - 4/12/2005 9:29 AM

Maxwell, the 461 Swiss Worker models are not armoured and the US 461 version has armour as an option.
The 461 is not available armoured to civilians. But the one in the pics is armoured. Look at the windshield...

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts

Ohhh, that G looked just SOOOOO RIGHT!
"Oh lord, won't you buy me a......Puch?"

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

Maxwell Smart - 4/12/2005 7:52 AM

The 461 is not available armoured to civilians. But the one in the pics is armoured. Look at the windshield...
If you live in the US, if you contact the Government vehicle sales division and explain to them you're willing to submit yourself for a comprehensive background check and you are willing to purchase a G270, which is for sale only to Government agencies because of the license that ssss.com has, the Government can purchase the vehicle on your behalf and let you reimburse them.

Never say never (which you didn't, but you know what I'm saying). Besides, there are tons of armoured vehicle distributors in the USA who can obtain the vehicle for you.

Of course, it's always a plus to have friends in the government. [:D]

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just curious, where did you get that pic of the customs? guy with his G.

It obviously a setup photo taken on a medium format 6x6. There are also attempts to be arty with it by leaving in the edges of the film strip... Leibowitz does that quite often in her work.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

The picture was taken from the company that's selling these G's to the US government agencies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts