Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't now much about suspension with these 190's except that the engineering and design of it was revolutionary in its time and has since been imitated by other car manufacturers.

So here is my question: how do I know if my 1989 190e 2.6 has been lowered?

The reason that I ask this is that my Benz has a very checkered past--it has been smashed twice, once in the right front that totalled the car in 1991 and once in the rear in 2001. Both repairs were clearly professionally repaired.

The only visible evidence of the repair to the front is a weld line from the right strut downward. The car was professionally painted. No rust anywhere, interior almost perfect. The rear and trunk area appear almost new.

Car drives straight at all speeds, handles perfectly.

The last owner, whom I do not know,(car was bought at auction at a police impound lot) did a lot of pimping to the car: tinted the windows amber, added a wooden steering wheel, put a wind deflector in front of the moon roof, put 16" inch Maniac wheels with low profile marshal racing tires on and replaced the grille with a sports grille.

I've replaced the grille, wheels and tires, but the car seems lower than what other 190's appear.

I've looked at the front springs and have noted that there are spacers in the springs and I don't know what that means. I do suspect though that if the previous owner went to the expense of the bigger wheels and low profile tires that he may have lowered the suspension.

Is there any way I can determine if the suspension has been altered or lowered? What is the purpose of spacers in the front spring coils?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,978 Posts
I think what you saw in your springs are not spacers, maybe a lowering kit.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
The spacers you are referring to are called spring spacers. They can either lower or raise the suspension in a car. Guys like Dave, Jippi, Justin, and Bob can tell you that I have them, but to raise the car rather than lower it. I know, I know, it looks stupid, but it's that or have my wheels rub for some strange reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts