Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300TE
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Cooling questions/water pump and radiator in 300TE.

Guys, Just bit the bullet and did the headgasket and valve guide and seals. Engine runs the same it's just that it is not leaking oil at the rear of the head. The 300TE has 90,000 on it. The water pump was changed at 39,000 and the radiator was changed at 50,000 miles. No leaks what so ever. New Jersey is hot in the summer and with AC max on the needle can go up 3/4 way. The aux fans always kick on if it starts to higher. I believe that this is normal. New t stat, radiator cap, fan clutch, belt tensioner,etc. If you guys think it is still running high, the water pump is the oldest component on the car but it is also not leaking, etc. I heared these water pumps last a long time. Let me know what you think. Maybe it's normal and I shouldn't be concerned. Thanks, Hutch

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
If its an OEM waterpump it will last 90k+ miles but there are alot of cheap knockoffs out there.

I didn't take a chance when my last waterpump failed (it was a cheap PRC franken-pump) so I bought from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,380 Posts
Be more specific and use (or extrapolate) the numbers you are getting on your water temp gauge. A pic of its hottest point would help....then we can tell you what is "normal".:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,539 Posts
One of the signs that your waterpump is going will be steadily increasing temperatures when the car is stopped, at a light for instance, than when the car is moving.

Also, remove the forward fan shroud and blow out and leaves and debris that may have accumulated in there. That can have a very negative effect on the cooling capacity of your system. Straighten out any bent fins while you're there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts