Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thank you for the reply Mackhack. Just a point of clarification....so there is no access to any of the "secret" menus? I ask because I also noticed I am missing the soft key for the CDC that was there as well I cannot control the stereo presets from the steering wheel post update. On another issue would you have any input (or direct me to a thread) regarding setting up the satellite radio? When I push the button it just says not installed. What would I need to purchase and/or do in order to gain this access. Regards,

John
You won't be able to bring the soft button back by going into EM. It is really not for that. Perhaps something else is wrong. You have successfully closed the Fiber Optic Ring (MOST) otherwise your COMAND wouldn't turn on. So we can't eliminate that as a cause why you aren't able to control your CDC. What I would check with a Star Diagnosis System if your car knows that there is a CDC in right now. Current and actual MOST devices list have to match.

I would be able to put a Satellite Radio receiver in your car and version code your car with SDS if you're in SoCal or Arizona.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fallsman:

Have you tried going to the standard service menu:

Hold MUTE + 1 + 3 for ten seconds

I've managed to "reset" missing options in my 2005 S55 (W220) apparently by going through the menus therein.

Question for you:

How did you access the update menu? Did you use 1 + 3 + 8 ?

I've been trying to access the update menu and have been unsuccessful ever since acquiring the update CD disk.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Key sequence for resetting your COMAND: SKIP forward + SERV + MAP.

In EM you can erase your flash so be careful doing that! If that goes wrong you board is bricked and you either need a new board which I can get for you guys or a new COMAND!!! Just a friendly advise!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for the input. Is it possible to upgrade to a new OEM Command unit for the 2006 CLS 500 that would have integrated Bluetooth and SD Card access?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've researched this issue as much as I could, and yet couldn't determine @ a 100% what's needed. My NTG1 can display ETA and total distance by pressing the INFO (top left soft button), while in nav mode, but not at the bottom of the navigation screen. I can also play MP3 CDs without any problem (there's also a soft button option named MP3...).

Reading through the instructions on message #12 by Waren, I tried my dealer who charges ~$450 for the W211 589 15 20 20 and over $800 for the W211 589 14 20 20... I failed finding the $12-28 prices everyone had mentioned.

I'm in Southern California. If anyone here has those CDs, I'm willing to either drop by anywhere San Diego to S. Barbara to Riverside, as well as buying them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 ML63 AMG Navigation update or firmware update // can any one please help im trying to get info on updating Navi update or firmware on my AMG and have no idea what to do .. would highly appreciate any help Txs

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
The short version is, see this page, and select your ML: http://mb.navigation.com/home/en_US/MBNA/USD?awc=6031_1494250555_7e9e3468d988dc547dad1f4dd496f8da&utm_medium=affiliation&acq_channel=aw&utm_campaign=aw&utm_source=Geographic+Enterprises,+LLC for the nav map update - and contact your dealership to determine if any firmware updates are necessary (or even advisable) for your system.

There are two different kinds of updates: One is COMAND firmware. Firmware updates are usually produced on CDs (not DVDs); they done to provide compatibility with new map DVD formats, to provide a bird's eye view, 3-D city views, and ETA (estimated time of arrival). If you have the features you want, then doing a firmware update is usually not necessary. In addition, a firmware update can have tradeoffs: In some years, getting Bird's Eye View and ETA caused loss of the ability to make nav entries while in motion. While making such entries while you are driving is unwise, it also prevents a passenger from doing so.

Far more frequent is the need for a navigation map update. Generally speaking, up until MY 2006, the navigation discs released each year contained the minor software tweaks that provided (for example) different voices for nav commands, and the like. When a new DVD was inserted, the first thing that happened was that the nav software (distinguished from COMAND firmware) was updated; then, the new navigation map data was loaded. In these systems, map data was read directly from the DVD; it remained inserted in the nav reader. Updating map data usually took less than 5 minutes.

From 2007 through 2009, nav map updates were done similarly, except that the map data was transferred from a 2-disc set to a hard drive internal to the COMAND unit. The DVD did not remain inserted. The download time from the DVD to the HD took much longer. I believe this is the system your ML uses. You purchase directly from MB at the link provided, or from your dealer. There are installation instructions with the package.

Beginning with MY '10, MB began using a 6-digit key, generated from a combination of the VIN and the DVD number. One purchases a disc from the dealership (usually around $40); and also purchase a key (usually around $250). Dealers sometimes quote one price for both items. The DVDs are in a 2-disc set, and can only be loaded into the internal HD by use of the key. The update time can exceed 90 minutes, and a battery maintainer/charger must be connected (ignition remains on throughout the process). I do not believe this system is used in your car.

With a 2009 ML, it is unlikely you require a firmware update unless one was released to address particular problems. Your dealership can check service bulletins and let you know if any are recommended. However, despite cost, the best place to purchase your map upate is from MB directly, or from the dealership. At the time of this post, the purchase price id $199, vice $249, and the $30 ground shipping is free until June 30 (saving another $30).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 e550 that's never been updated I bought the update disk An the new 2016 maps disk but can't get the software update to start any help appreciated i'll put the disk in the navigation control box in truck but nothing pops up on screen thanks

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
Jeff Ray 2
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing