Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: command-aps upgrade mode

Hi,
Can anybody please help me with button/key combination for putting COMAND-APS into "update mode. I have the cd for the firmware update.
my car is 2006 amg S55.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I did not find the instructions from the E-class Comand manual but the instructions should appear in the booklet that comes with the new DVD (my W221 update DVD had those even if the car manual too explained it).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking about the head unit firmware upgrade to show ETA and telephone stregth bar on bottom of nav map screen

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I was talking about the head unit firmware upgrade to show ETA and telephone stregth bar on bottom of nav map screen
OK, couldn't figure out that from your first post. This certainly is not on the car manual or Comand manual but it should still read on the disc you got. Where did you get the disc?

On the E-class the update starts automatically, I would expect the same for a W220.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I downloaded cd tool W211 589 14 22 00 from internet and tried 1 3 8 key sequence but it does not work(may be the key button combo changes for 2006 s class). any other suggestions?

I followed these instructions :

Mercedes COMAND HEAD UNIT Service CD W211 589 14 22 00

Use this CD to update the COMAND Head Unit to software version 46/06.

Unzip the archive and burn all of the files onto a regular CD-R disc, making sure that your software finalizes the disk when it's done. I use NERO, and on NERO it is listed under the "burn" tab on the verification screen just before the CD starts burning.

Once you have the CD, power up your COMAND unit, briefly hold down 1,3,8 at the same time, and the service screen should come up asking you to insert the CD. Insert the CD and the update will begin automatically. VERY IMPORTANT....DO NOT CHANGE SETTINGS OR TURN IGNITION ON OR OFF DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS.

Once the CD is done updating, it will eject the CD and the COMAND unit will restart itself. That's all there is to it.

My unit is a 2005 version, and I cannot attest to weather this will work in other versions, but I have read that it will work on all COMAND units.

If you do not have the Nav module, then this should still update your audio SW... but only if you have the COMAND Head Unit (the one with the large screen). If you have the smaller unit, I think it's called the Audio 50 (but don't quote me on that), then I don't think this will work for you.

Also, this IS NOT a map disc. This is simply the SW update for the COMAND system itself. This update will add a few features with the Navigation module (i.e., adds the ability to display ETA at the bottom of NAV screen) if you have it installed, but it also updates other audio items as well, like the ability to play MP3 discs.

Thanks for prompt reply

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Cheenu,

Since you and some others originally asked the question I have been trying to find out about this elusive COMAND firmware update. The disc you mentioned has a W211 part number (E-Class). While the S-Class and the E-Class use the same navigation disc, I cannot at this time confirm whether they can both be updated with the E-Class COMAND firmware.

Checking COMAND part numbers at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits it is plain that the E-Class and S-Class COMANDs have different part numbers. The E-Class is either A211 820 27 97, A211 820 23 97, or A211 920 27 97 and the S-Class is A220 870 34 89, A220 870 38 89 or A220 870 10 89 depending on model year and date produced. Although all are Siemens units, I have no information that says they all use the E-Class firmware update.

I also read in one post (that I did not bookmark) that the online version of the update may lack an initialization file. As recall the post, the original disc had 14 files while the downloaded disc had 13.

You have probably already read the string at COMAND Service Menu Access - MBWorld.org Forums - however, I note that all of the participants owned W211s. Diesel Benz's link above provides a second part number (for the Nav DVD not recognized error), and also states that the cost of each of the two discs mentioned is minimal. If you are able to confirm that the updates are for the S-Class as well, you may have better luck using original discs vice burned copies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks a lot
I will check in with my dealer
Appreciate your help. Please let me know if you find anything further since my dealer has no clue. I dont mind ordering original disc but I dont know what to tell the dealer to order?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
A good point from Skylaw that the processors are different part numbers even if the map discs are shared. W211 589 15 22 00 should be the disc for a W220. Odd that it is different but still a W211 part.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I had a second look at this issue, this W211 589 15 22 00 service CD seems to apply for a W211 car too. Looks like the service CDs are (mostly) common after all, this would just be a more recent version.

Some service CDs in-between are not compatible with both US and Euro units while these two on this thread should be.

Looks like something wrong with the downloaded disc. Obviously one cannot count on the "internet parts". In another case I would be anyway strongly against downloading SW from internet, like mad discs but this service disc is a bit different, MB is not supposed to lose their income if an owner updates the unit him/herself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Diesel Benz,
I just posted a reply to Skylaw on the other thread on this issue. Not sure if you saw it:

Thanks a lot. I was able to update the navigation processor with W211 589 15 22 00 (via nav dvd hardware in trunk). After that I reloaded my 2005.3 map disk but I still can not see ETA etc. Are these features awailable only in 2007/2008 navigation disks or previous ones too?
Do I still need to update the command head software with W211 589 14 22 00 on the cd unit at the command head(not in trunk). Otherwise I will just buy the navteq dvd NTG1-7.0 from your previous post.

Also to clarify that I am not trying to get a free update cd/dvd. The problem is that my dealer is clueless on this.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
OK, I'm going to drop back a bit and address two different situations.

Situation one is where the owner buys a new nav DVD but gets a "disc not recognized" readout when trying to use it. According to konigstiger's post at MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - Navigation Service Update DVD?? this situation is addressed by Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00. You can see photos of the disc, its jacket, and use instructions (such as they are) at For Sale - Navigation Service DVD - 211 589 15 22 00 - MBWorld.org Forums

As you may know, each new navigation map DVD contains a software update in addition to new map data. If you skip several map update discs, you may reach a point where your system will not recognize the newest map DVD as it attempts to update nav software. Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00 applies all of the "missing" pieces that would have been applied by each annual update, and allows the newest disc to be recognized. That Service Disc is used in the nav map disc reader, and it updates the same components that the sequential annual updates would.

If you update your map DVD each year, you should not have to apply Service Disc W211 589 15 22 00. I do not know how many discs you can successfully skip - it probably depends on the amount of software change year to year.

Situation 2 is the COMAND firmware update to provide ETA and cell phone signal strength while navigation is underway. As I read konigstiger's post, that is accomplished through Service Disc W211 589 14 22 00 - and it updates the COMAND head unit, not the nav system per se. My best guess is that it is used in the COMAND CD/DVD reader and not the nav disc reader, because the disc is a CD, not a DVD, according to its verbal description.

Once you have updated the COMAND head unit, you should be able to follow the instructions at post 9 at COMAND Service Menu Access - MBWorld.org Forums.

Monkeyclaw gave the correct information for the proper Service Disc and the instructions for selecting ETA and cell signal strength in his response at Re:comand firmware - MBWorld.org Forums

Starbrite mentions in the second linked post above that the COMAND unit update may remove access to the Engineering Menu (no big loss - little need for the owner to access it) and also removes the ability to make nav entries in motion. He goes on further to say that the dealer can re-implement the nav entries in motion feature (I often ask my passenger to make these entries while traveling, so it is useful).

With that, I believe we have our final answer. The fact that the two Service Discs carry a W211 designation, not W220, and differ in part number by only one digit didn't make this any easier to untangle.

Each Service Disc costs about $25. I do know that many dealers will apply the map update software free, if you have bought a new Nav DVD and get the "disc not recognized" readout. I don't know about the head unit update being done free.

Please also note - these discs are likely sold as TOOLS, not a "parts." You may not be able to order them via your parts counter. It is likely that your dealer service department 1) has them for their own use, and 2) may be willing to order them for you (since they order tools).

Also - this post was originally made in 2008 - it is very likely the part numbers have changed!! I will not be "tracking" future changes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Skylaw, Regarding what you just said about skipping maps and updating the system, I Have another question. Would the Updates be done on their own or do I have to activate them by going into the engineering menu? Also, Is their any way a Unit Like mine(2003 command 2.0 I believe) will ever read the CD names on its own? Title of Track reading and such?

ALi

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
goliath27,

The principal thrust this string dealt with navigation updates for DVD-based nav systems. Your CD-based nav system does not update firmware the way DVD-based systems do. You do not need to access the engineering menu - you just use the latest nav CD set.

Navigation and COMAND updates are done by the dealer. I do not know the current firmware edition for your car, but it does not change often.

Your COMAND will display a limited number of CD titles, if you name them and store the names. It will not display song titles - only track number. Your COMAND manual covers this. I am not aware of a way to upgrade the unit to alter that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
goliath27,

The principal thrust this string dealt with navigation updates for DVD-based nav systems. Your CD-based nav system does not update firmware the way DVD-based systems do. You do not need to access the engineering menu - you just use the latest nav CD set.

Navigation and COMAND updates are done by the dealer. I do not know the current firmware edition for your car, but it does not change often.

Your COMAND will display a limited number of CD titles, if you name them and store the names. It will not display song titles - only track number. Your COMAND manual covers this. I am not aware of a way to upgrade the unit to alter that.

Then the Info I was given by someone else was false and mostly wishful thinking. I believe I am up to date on updates(starts with MB Logo and Do not be distracted disclaimer) but I suppose I was just wanting that little bit more lol.

ALi

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you burn audio CDs with a cue file for instance, the COMAND display shows each title while playing. Also if you just burn the mp3s without a cue file the titles also show on the display.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you skip several map update discs, you may reach a point where your system will not recognize the newest map DVD as it attempts to update nav software.
I successfully replaced a NAV 4.1 DVD with NAV 10.0 in a 2004 W220 NTG1. The new version 10.0 installed straight away.

I had been worried about this upgrade but it worked without a service CDs (unless the previous owner has done that). No W211 589 15 22 00 was needed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engineering Menu Assistance Please

Good Day All...

I recently updated the Navigation Unit (I believe it is referred to the NTG-1 Command Unit) in my 2006 CLS 500 to version E10_40_UPDATE. I read that would allow some additional features. Additionally I upgraded my NAVI MAPS to the most recent version (2013 MAPS) Both the update and upgrade were successful. My question is how do I access the secret menus? The codes previously allowing access do not function...Specifically the "Engineering Menu/Mode"? Additionally, I noticed the Command Unit is now missing the CD Changer soft key. I would appreciate comments and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

John

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
EM won't do anything that you would benefit from. Code to get into the driver distraction menu has changed and since all firmware developers have left Harman/Becker a long time ago they took the secret with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the reply Mackhack. Just a point of clarification....so there is no access to any of the "secret" menus? I ask because I also noticed I am missing the soft key for the CDC that was there as well I cannot control the stereo presets from the steering wheel post update. On another issue would you have any input (or direct me to a thread) regarding setting up the satellite radio? When I push the button it just says not installed. What would I need to purchase and/or do in order to gain this access. Regards,

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts