Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Are you only testing this system in the garage at idle? I suggest get the car on the road and get the rpms up for about 10-15 minutes and let the system balance out a bit. None of this system has been in service for a while and may just need to be exercised. My wagon's AC really came back to life after a 15 minute drive with constant rpms. Been working great now for 3 weeks. FYI, on the hiway at 55-60 I'm getting between 38-40 degrees out of my center vents. This is a dynamic system and running a few minutes in the garage is not a true sample of what's going on. The complete system may balance itself out with what I have mentioned. Mike

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
When I was having some issues of richness, unexploded fuel etc, rough idle, I had many issues happening. One thing I did find were the spark plug leads on 3 of the cylinders had poor contact with the suppressors. Be sure to tighten the wires firmly to ensure continuity. YMMV

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Are you only testing this system in the garage at idle? I suggest get the car on the road and get the rpms up for about 10-15 minutes and let the system balance out a bit. None of this system has been in service for a while and may just need to be exercised. My wagon's AC really came back to life after a 15 minute drive with constant rpms. Been working great now for 3 weeks. FYI, on the hiway at 55-60 I'm getting between 38-40 degrees out of my center vents. This is a dynamic system and running a few minutes in the garage is not a true sample of what's going on. The complete system may balance itself out with what I have mentioned. Mike
YEs you need to drive it around with the Ac on!
Just checking temps in the driveway is not sufficient

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, I did drive it around town over the last few days, that's how I knew it was running hotter than normally, maybe I need to take a longer freeway trip.

So far, it seems to be just working OK, NOT COLD just COOL around 60 when it's 90s outside. But I'm hoping like you said, the system needs exercising to get those fuids moving around maybe it will start working better. I'll give it a few days before thinking about the next step,.. possibly replacing parts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok here's an update, on my Enviro-safe install. AC works just OK, about only 20 degrees cooler than outside temps, unfortunately not frosty..

BUT, my main concern is my engine temps get pretty HOT when the AC compressor is running. Usually, my engine temp is right in the middle at 9 o'clock when warmed up, BUT when I use the AC compressor it goes up to 10 o'clock or more! (Please excuse my clock reference, but I can't remember the exact marks) And after I shut the engine off it takes a few cranks to get her going after being so hot.

So, I've been reluctant to use the AC fearing more trouble could arise & would rather take my chances driving a happy cool running engine.

Could this mean my AC compressor is going or gone? Bogging my engine down making her work harder?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Usage of AC does increase engine temps , especially if the thermostat is weak or the electric fans aren’t calibrated correctly . Very unlikely it has anything to do with the condition of your ac compressor .

·
Registered
280 Posts
Interesting, Thanks, tusabes. This whole AC system to me seems much more tricky to figure out than the other projects.. Hmm..

Usage of AC does increase engine temps , especially if the thermostat is weak or the electric fans aren’t calibrated correctly . Very unlikely it has anything to do with the condition of your ac compressor .

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,993 Posts
I just read through this thread. Seems like there is a flammability concern, warnings are actually on the Enviro-Safe site.

Manufacturers have been switching to R1234yf. There are two in the household that have it. Funny, but the under hood labels that indicate it do have flammable warning symbols.....

A/C shops will pay for recovered R12, so those who have it may consider getting compensated for it, before switching. May just pay for the conversion, and with high R12 cost last time I checked, could possibly give you some pocket change.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
I installed EnviroSafe juice recently and am very happy with the outcome, at highway speeds my knuckles actually get chilled :eek. I believe my fan clutch is weak because the couple of times I was in rush hour traffic the engine temp did climb above what I was comfortable with and shut down the A/C and rolled the glass down, engine didn't really start to cool down until we got moving at a good clip again (good thing downtown runs are rare)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks everyone here on this thread and to Tusabes for suggesting Enviro-safe.

I drove my '85 500SEL for 10 years without a working A/C and avoided driving it during Summer seasons. It was quite the procrastination and I had zero experience working on A/C systems, but just last week I decided to give Enviro-safe a shot and purchased their 5-can package (1 Oil Charge, 1 Stop Leak, 3 Refrigerants) for $27 on Amazon.

After reading thru this thread and a couple of youtube vids, I did the following:

1.) Hooked up an AC manifold gauge to the shrader valves and saw only ~10 psi on the low side, which explains why the compressor's clutch never engaged.
2.) Retracted the puncture needle and screwed on the Oil Charge as my first can.
3.) Shook the can, then purged the air out of the charge hose (to avoid introducing air into the system as much as possible).
4.) Ran the engine, turned the A/C on, and revved to 2500rpm.
5.) Bypassed the low-pressure switch to force the compressor to run, then injected Oil Charge followed by Stop Leak.
6.) Low-side pressure went up to ~35 psi, so I reconnected the low-pressure switch and observed the compressor was able to run on its own.
7.) Since it was a hot day (~85 F with 55% Humidity), I found a reference chart that suggested ~45 psi low-side and ~230 psi high-side (although it's meant for R12).
8.) Injected the first can of refrigerant until the low-side reached ~45 psi while high-side reached ~230 psi (1st photo). The can still had some refrigerant left but I stopped right there to align with the chart.
9.) I removed the gauges and test drove around.

The AC got so cold I had to lower the fan setting!

Some concerns I have...
Both low and high side measure ~120 psi when the system is off, not sure if that's good or bad (2nd photo).
And I'm uncertain if my leak has stopped. It's been almost a week and still blows very cold.

I still have about half a can left on the 1st can of refrigerant, and 2 more unused cans. So I'm ready if I need to recharge again.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Glad it worked for you ! If you are cold and at 45psi when running you are good .

I’m going on 6 years in my jaguar with no
Leaks out , and still freezing AC . I was ready to top it off this summer but it didn’t need it

The envirosafe molecules are larger than r12 and r134 so less prone to leakage . You’ll probably never need to use the other cans if your leakage was small before using the stop leak

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I think I remember reading it's propane or some mix of combustibles. That's why some we're a sceaming " you'll explode!" But very unlikely due to quantity.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, I gotta say I'm disappointed in myself. I found the website for enviro-safe on my own about a month ago. I was on the fence about trying it, and today I bought some r134a to top off my system (it was converted to r134a by the PO). Given I've not had any AC, I was happy to have it blowing out 57 degrees.

But, I think I may still have a leak. It only blew 63 degrees on my drive home today. So if it seeps out, I'll definitely get some of this ES stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I pumped up a w124 that had previously been converted to 134a with enviro safe last year in June and still blowing in low 30's. Just added to an original R12 system (took 1 can) and blowing cold again. Now I need to get the center vents to work again but a luck has it, this has been addressed here on BW.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts