Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I bought an Enviro Safe recharge kit for my xj6 1997 which used r134. Only cost $24.95 so I will use it this summer and report back how it works...

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
I have every connection taken apart for my A/C and I got the re-seal kit and I am going through everything now. Have not decided on R-134a or R-290. Mike very graciously sent me what looks to be HNBR grade seals and I believe he said they need to be swapped out from the compressor. I need to talk to him again about this. Maybe Mike will weigh in here?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Mike does need to chime in here.
As I understood it,to use propane you did not have to change seals, with R134 you do. IIRC the propane mixes with the R12 so you do not have to drain the system.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I went through this 2yrs. ago, got the info from this sight, was a big deal at the time & lots of discussion! I have a slow leak, on 87 sec. So I'm topping off lots during the summer, so have had some experience. Yes propane does mix with r12. Yes you tip the bottle nozzle down for the liquid. What I have learned to do is to fill the system, watching the sight glass, at first there is a blur of white bubbles, you keep filling till you see maybe 15% bubbles & the rest clear liquid. ( with the car running & air on max.) My set up has a on off nob & I install propane in installments till i'm satisfied . When the system is getting full ,the bubbles come in spurts, I assume as they circulate through the system, be patient & it will work out OK. Then I had to get another hose set up so I can put in oil. ( the one set up is cut & spliced with a propane adapter, the second is left original so it screws onto the cans.) Just did this once (& forgot what I used) so not too familiar with what kind Of lubricant our system needs? This yr. I hope to find the leak,& put in a new dryer But will still use propane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting ready to recharge R-12 with Ever-Safe ES-12a

in my 1991 300SE. Can someone that has used the ES Recharge kit direct me to a web link with diagrams or pix of this operation in a MB?
Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
EnviroSafe refrigerant is incredible!! I have used it in every Mercedes I have owned due to its superior performance and low operating pressures. Not only does it out perform 134a significantly, it saves the a/c system by operating at pressures fractionally those of 134a.

I have used EnviroSafe in both R12 and 134a systems and couldn't be happier. This past weekend I charged the system in my 1999 E320 wagon with it. To say it out performs 134a is an enormous understatement.

I live in south Florida and the heat index has been over 100F. After charging the system with EnviroSafe I can sit dead stopped at idle on black asphalt and have the a/c set at 72 and it blows cold enough to run the seat heaters. Outside temp shows 92 and the heat index is well over 100.

It took two of the small cans to charge my system. This is the eleventh car I have switched to EnviroSafe and have NEVER had to revisit/repair any part of the a/c system after the conversion. No extra parts needed. No "retro-fitting". Just vacuum the system, charge and go. One car I owned had EnviroSafe in the a/c system for approximately 7 years (before I sold the car) without any issue.

$20-25 per can is insanely expensive. A complete kit is in the $25 range with everything needed to fully charge one car, including charging hose/hi-low fittings, oil and dye. Envirosafe's home page is: Environmentally Friendly Refrigerant and Automotive Fluid Products - Enviro-Safe, Inc
After researching the threads, I ordered the recharge kit from Enviro-Safe, but haven't recharged an AC system in 15 years. There are no instructions included. Can you point me to some instructions that would apply to my '91 300SE?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry to bring back this very old thread but i think is interesting to add my experience/experiment on the matter.
After learning that Envirosafe and similar brands are just Propane, Isobutane , Butane or a mix of them, i tought: Ok, my 190E is converted to LPG (propane 60%, butane 40%), my 300D needs freon recharging, so maybe i can just run a pipe from my 190's LPG tank, to the freon gauge, to recharge the 300D with LPG, and 15 minutes later i had everything connected and ready to go.
I first vacuumed, then connected the LPG tank, checked for leaks and charged untill no bubbles appeared in the visor, no less no more.
The result is awesome, it really blows ICE COLD like a winter wind, way better than R-12.

NOTE: I dont encourage anyone to use LPG FUEL (liquid petrol gas) as refrigerant since unlike r-290/ R-600 (Duracool and similar stuff) it may contain humidity (?) and/or impurities that may destroy your a/c compressor or/and other parts of the air conditioner system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used Enviro-safe a year ago and my AC still works fine. Evacuated non-working r134, replaced compressor and two or three other things (not the evaporator). pulled vacuum, and with the magic process I can't remember (while running at least 1,200 rpm), and it still works today. 126 1981 300SD.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
As I mentioned in post 21 above , three years ago I used envirosafe and its been working great .

I got the $24 kit with stop leak , I already had my own gauges and hoses, and i didnt vacuum out just added it to my system and its still cold
http://www.es-refrigerants.com/products/w/id/207/t/universal-recharge-auto-kit/details.asp

But if you need the gauge and hose I recommend the more complete $34 kit with the hoses, gauge and extra fluid . It has everything you need to make your AC ice cold

Alternate A/C Recharge Kit Details and Online Ordering at Enviro-Safe, Inc

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Bumping an old thread with good data and pdf on using enviro safe

I'm still happy with recharging my ac with Envirosafe

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
R12 works the best. It is still manufactured in many countries including mexico.
It is legal to use and sell in the USA.
It is not legal to manufacture in the USA.
I would not use anything but R12 in an R12 system. I used to do conversions but they do not work as well and here in the sacramento area we need all the cool we can get.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,077 Posts
Aftermarket refrigerant replacements are mostly propane (R290) with butane added to reduce head pressure.
Marketed under different names, if people insist on paying the premium, why not.

The Colombians are jealous.

In June the EPA began enforcement actions against Enviro-Safe Refrigerants, Inc., of Pekin, Illinois, for producing and selling a product called ES 22a in violations of the Clean Air Act.
http://www.acca.org/epa-issues-warning-on-hydrocarbon-refrigerants/

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I've used the Envirosafe kit and like the people on the first few pages I'm extremely happy with it

Yes it's propane blended at a premium price compared to using bbq propane , but there's no need to create your own adapters and fittings . For $34 You get a complete kit from enviro safe that I installed in 15 minutes . Included leak stop and oil charge. Simple and easy and working for 3+ years now

If it was any harder I probably wouldn't have done it , so fabbing my own propane adapters wasn't going to happen . I highly recommend enviro safe

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've used the Envirosafe kit and like the people on the first few pages I'm extremely happy with it

Yes it's propane blended at a premium price compared to using bbq propane , but there's no need to create your own adapters and fittings . For $34 You get a complete kit from enviro safe that I installed in 15 minutes . Included leak stop and oil charge. Simple and easy and working for 3+ years now

If it was any harder I probably wouldn't have done it , so fabbing my own propane adapters wasn't going to happen . I highly recommend enviro safe
Hi all,
My 1977 450SL still has the R12 system. After reading these threads, it appears the enviro-safe $34.95 kit is compatible with the R12 that is still in the system and I do not have to evacuate the system as well. Can someone please verified that these is correct. And has someone used this kit recently with R12.
Thanks....

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, according to their website, they recommend to not vacuum the system. This is also what several people did and reported back here accordingly.
If you do need to vacuum the system (e.g. changing the dryer), they recommend to use their industrial kit instead.
It is fully compatible with R12, only EPA doesn't allow to label it that way, so they officially had to name it a R-134a replacement.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
It’s fully compatible with r12 and r134 , no need to vacuum
Just use the $34.95 kit pictured and fill er up. You probably won’t even need the last can (save it to top off later if needed )

I just did one today . This is the 4th car I’ve filled with envirosafe.

If the gauge shows pressure but just a bit low I add one can and that usually tops it off . No need to use the oil charge or stop leak

If the gauge shows as completely empty then there’s obvious a leak the question. Is how big . So first I put in one can refrigerant , as I look And listen for obvious large leaks . One car I had a massive leak so I stopped there (and didn’t waste the rest of the kit ). If no obvious leaks then I put in the oil charge , then the can of stop leak , then another can of refrigerant , so the the oil charge and stop leak is pushed through the system by the second refrigerant can . This usually is enough to fill it up . If still not full I add the third can until pressures show full .

Very easy very quick . No need to pull vacuum or evacuate

·
Registered
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Request some advise

It took two of the small cans to charge my system. This is the eleventh car I have switched to EnviroSafe [/url]
I am interested in switching over to Envirosafe. I have a 1990 420SEL. And I live in Tampa so you can imagine the heat.

Does it take only 2 cans to completely replace the current r134a ?
What High and Low side pressures should I be looking at after a full charge?
Do I need to add oil? Is so, what kind? Synthetic Ester? And how much?
DO I need to change the pressure switch?

Regards

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I answered all those questions in my posts above . The gauge will show what your current refrigerant level is - if it’s just a bit low , 1 or 2 cans will fill you up. If it’s empty you should use the full $34.95 kit with the oil charge and stop leak cans included .

21 - 40 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
40 Participants
isthenew
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing