Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading Nobby's steering wheel posts, I noticed he had the same ac/heat control panel. I recently pulled the recirculate switch out of mine and also pulled loose two red tubes(one solid red and one with stripe) that were attached to the back of a triangular rubber grommett with three holes. Can anyone give info on how to reconnect. Also the red light in the switch now doesn't come on. (Due to deteriorated brain cells grammatical and punctuation errors may have occurred) :surrender:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think they are fiber optics. They go to a central light blub on one end and the other to things that need light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nascar Fan, that made me laugh so hard I knocked the damn bong over and now the kids and dogs are playing in that nasty water. Come on now!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
NF is 100% right.

logerheard said:
......deteriorated brain cells...
logerhead said:
I knocked the damn bong over...

Pull that climate panel, and behind there you'll find a central bulb with an optic 'spider'. It's plug and play simple from there......:Smoker:....in most cases.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if I offended anyone I just thought they were vacuum tubes, they look the same as tubes going to the pods.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
logerhead,

I believe some have mis-understood what you are describing... The switch does two things: 1, it switches vacuum (actually bleeds it off, IIRC) to the pods on the fresh air doors, and 2, it turns on a little light in the switch itself, to indicate recirc mode (Also energizing the proper selenoid, of course). You need to either look at the manual, or navigate to my site, rmsmith's Homepage to view a schematic. The two hoses need to be re-inserted into the rubber triangle in the correct orientation, and the whole mess, electrical and vacuum hoses, needs to be plugged back onto the switch.

The solid red goes into the switch port marked "C", and the striped one goes into the port marked "B"... When you turn the switch to "on", the vacuum ports, A and B, are connected, and the vacuum is bled off, letting the pods close the doors (recirculated air). In the off position, vacuum is connected to ports B and C, opening the doors and allowing in fresh air.

This is the short "cliff-notes" version of the recirc switch function...

good luck.

rory

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
And, once again, Rory, the experienced voice of reason, rights the listing vessel that is this sometimes seemingly rudderless boat I like to call BW107.

Logerhead, trust me in that no offense was taken, and I'll go so far as to say the same for Nascar Fan. On the ACC II control panels such as what NF and I have, there are light transmitting tubes such as what I described. Hence the difference in perception.

Dave.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rory, If the red light fails to come on could the switch then be bad? ( I was going to say ASSUME the switch was bad ? ) But not with this fiesty crew !

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
We can say, assume... Us grown ups, anyway. I always assume the simplest first... bad contacts in the switch. Very similar to window switch. Lack of use seems to cause poor connection. I have to press mine more than once. Also, I forget which mode, but recirc does not always "take"...

And to NF and Dave, The 1988 560 also has the fibre optic "spider"... supplying light to some of the switches in the dash, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts