Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been noticing a raw gas smell from the car after it has been running a while. Noticeable inside the car when stopped for traffic light. No spot on garage floor and no smell in the morning after car is in garage overnight. Have raised the hood and can get a faint whiff on left side of engine. Mechanic friend who works on domestic cars says maybe a faulty "O" ring or fitting in fuel injector system. Anyone else had this happen??

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have not personally but from what I've read here topping off the fuel tank can force gas into the evaporative cannister that's designed to trap excess fumes coming from the system. But since you seem to have localized it to under the hood you can probably rule that out. Can you see anything in the area where you smell it?

·
Registered
2001 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have removed the plastic shroud to try & see any wet spots but there is too much in the way. Just a faint smell on the driver side of the motor. My wife drives the car 99% of the time I'll ask if she tries to top off the tank at the pump. Maybe that is all it is but we have had the car for a couple years and have not noticed it before unless she has just started trying to top the tank lately.

·
Registered
2001 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Musikmann, have made an appointment at the dealer to check it out. Do not dare to let her drive it that way.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Glad you clarified it is on the driver side. The canister I mentioned is on the passenger side and toward the rear of the car. Your friend is probably right and I hope it's a quick fix.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Warm up your car and idle. Walk around smell where the vapor came from. If it is from the tail pipe, you may have a bad fuel-air mixture. If you can smell inside your car you should able to smell it outside. If you cannot, the leak must be coming from the engine bay. You must do that next time when you smell the gas.

·
Registered
2001 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Dealer found no leaks. My wife has confessed to topping up the tank on filling so I am thinking that the smell is from the vapor canister. Time will tell. Looks like you were right on Musikmann.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
You're welcome and thanks for the follow up post. I don't know if those can be cleaned out but hopefully it will clear in time you won't have to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts