Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving and parked in the garage I get a raw gas smell. I cannot see any leaks???? Help Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
How about when you have parked overnight, and everything is cold. Any fuel smell then?

Any signs on the floor under the car after parking? Have you had a good look under the hood for any signs of leaking gas. The fuel path is not too complex: Fuel cap - fuel tank - fuel filter - fuel pump - fuel injection system.

You are going to be a detective here, and follow your nose......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
I have the same car and the same problem a year ago... The raw gas smell is from the tail pipe exhaust due to over rich fuel mixture condition. This condition was traced to the air cleaner assembly not sitting completely down on the MAS letting air leak in causing a rich fuel mixture.

The neck of the air cleaner assembly has a rubber ring which fits very tightly around the MAS.. a rubber lubricant spray should be applied to the rubber ring before placing the air cleaner back on.... alternately, you can use your closed fist and bang down hard on top the air cleaner area over the MAS to force the rubber ring home on the MAS.

Do not let this rich condition go for too long as the raw gas will poison the catalytic converter, but the OBDII will generate an error message before that happens - P2188 & P2190 System too rich at idle Bank1 and Bank2

Goodluck... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same car and the same problem a year ago... The raw gas smell is from the tail pipe exhaust due to over rich fuel mixture condition. This condition was traced to the air cleaner assembly not sitting completely down on the MAS letting air leak in causing a rich fuel mixture.

The neck of the air cleaner assembly has a rubber ring which fits very tightly around the MAS.. a rubber lubricant spray should be applied to the rubber ring before placing the air cleaner back on.... alternately, you can use your closed fist and bang down hard on top the air cleaner area over the MAS to force the rubber ring home on the MAS.

Do not let this rich condition go for too long as the raw gas will poison the catalytic converter, but the OBDII will generate an error message before that happens - P2188 & P2190 System too rich at idle Bank1 and Bank2

Unitfreebie-
I smell gas even after overnight and cold. Did you have similar issue?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
No, the raw gas smell was only apparent when the engine was running... sounds like you have a gas leak somewhere?

Do you smell it inside the car? The fuel filter and pump is under the rear seat area!

·
Registered
2007 CLK350
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After further investigation about my gas smell, I found that my wife had filled the tank that day. I believe she may have overfilled the tank. After a few days of use the smell stopped. I ahd never experienced that before or since?:surrender:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
75 Posts
06 CLK350 here and I have exact same problem. First, I touched air cleaners, air intake and engine cover to fix oil leak and smell started right after that. Secondly, I filled up the gas tank around that time as well. Not sure I overfilled it. I'll check air cleaners, gas tank lid and see what's going on. At least this thread gives me where to start. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
75 Posts
After further investigation about my gas smell, I found that my wife had filled the tank that day. I believe she may have overfilled the tank. After a few days of use the smell stopped. I ahd never experienced that before or since?:surrender:
You know I did that to my DD 08 Mazda 3 and it flooded Leak Detection Pump and triggered CEL. I got it fixed under warranty otherwise it would have costed $330. Not sure on CLK though, but after that I try not to overfill on any car.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
75 Posts
That was it. Engine cover especially on the firewall side was not all the way down. I had to bang down hard to push it down. After that, gas smell went away. Thank you!!!!!!

·
Registered
2007 CLK-350
18 Posts
Gas neck overflows

I've smelled raw has occasionally while walking around the back of my CLK-350. It is intermittent, and I haven't diagnosed it. I'm going to investigate the fixes posted here.

Not related to the foregoing, when I fill the tank, if I hold the nozzle lever open until it clicks off, the tank overflows and spills gas down the side of the rear fender. Since the second time it happened, I ceased filling the tank all the way up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts