Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my '99 E320 developed two problems, at the same time. One: Rattling noise (loud) from under the engine (sort of like a hole in a muffler kind of rattling). This happens in idle, or on the road at any speed when I let go of the gas pedal. Second: My outside temperature display shows unlikely high temperatures, beetween +46C and +69C. Can anyone please give me a likely diagnostic?

Also, is there a menu in the car where I could get an idea from the car's computer, like fault-codes etc..? If there is a menu, how do I work it? (I lost the manual)

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2000 S 500 2002 E320 1991 300E
107 Posts
onlybenz said:
Today my '99 E320 developed two problems, at the same time. One: Rattling noise (loud) from under the engine (sort of like a hole in a muffler kind of rattling). This happens in idle, or on the road at any speed when I let go of the gas pedal. Second: My outside temperature display shows unlikely high temperatures, beetween +46C and +69C. Can anyone please give me a likely diagnostic?

Also, is there a menu in the car where I could get an idea from the car's computer, like fault-codes etc..? If there is a menu, how do I work it? (I lost the manual)

Thanks a lot.
Could be catalytic converter. is check engine light on?
outside temp sensor is bad. to get fault codes you need scanner

·
Registered
1997 M B E420 1990 Porsche 964 C2 Coupe
107 Posts
onlybenz said:
Has there been any change in performance?Any fluid leaks?At higher RPM when the noise stops do you hear a vacuum leak.When you say under the engine are you talking about oil pan or crank case?Sorry for all the questons.

You will need to plug into the data port with a code reader. The data port on my 97 is in the fuse box under the hood.Not only will it let you know what is going on with the temp but it may also help with the noise as well.
BTW I'm in the process of making a Bosch Hammer for my Porsche dose anyone have the diagnostic software for MB.With the right software I could read codes on my MB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts