Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R350 Bluetec - W251 - 2012
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pano roof has started to rattle above the rear RHS passenger door when the roof is closed, but not when open.
Looks like the headliner needs to be removed to fix - any guidance etc.
MB R500 2006 52,000 miles.

·
Registered
2006 R500, Alipine Rain, Nav, Xenons, Pano, Parktronic, Keyless Go, Luxury pack.
32 Posts
I also have an '06 R500, 58K miles, with the Pano and initially I had the same problem. I fixed mine by using a high quality silicone spray lube on all the runners, drive gear and wind deflector. Knock on wood, I have been squeak/groan/light rattle free for more than 3 months....

- Tim

·
Registered
1999 E300TD
167 Posts
Pedra, this is my post from another thread started about the pano roofs****
Guys, Ill give you some info on what Ive been doing to fix these roof noises. Ive done this for R classes and just did one for a 2012 E63 AMG and it seemed to work perfectly. Ive worked on many R classes with the roof rattles. I have replaced many tracks in the past but this seems to work. You still have to take out the tracks which means the headliner has to come out. When the tracks are out, you have to get a roll of thick foam. Its like the felt tape that is used but a lot thicker, sponge like. One side has tape and is sticky. Cut small pieces and cover all the mounting holes on the tracks where the tracks would bolt to the body. Lube everything while its out. When you reinstall it, the foam creates a tighter pinch on the roof. I also apply felt to some other areas, but this method has been working. The ones I have done were perfect after repairs and had no more "body flex" pano noise. Let me know if you have any other questions

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a R350 '06 in 2009 and had periodically the same issue. Silicone based lubricant helped for some period in my case but never solved the root cause.

I took time to dissemble the plastics covers that clips over the metallic rails and sit on the pano roof glass when it’s closed. I found that my squeaking/rattling noise come from those plastic covers. I install Teflon tape on these guides (at the glass/plastic interface and metal/plastic interface). I had a quiet pano roof for almost a two year.

Since two months the Teflon tape is wear and I need to install a new tape interface.

The root cause seems to be a incompatibility of material at the glass/plastic/metal interface.

·
Registered
2006 R500, Alipine Rain, Nav, Xenons, Pano, Parktronic, Keyless Go, Luxury pack.
32 Posts
Can you send a quick pic of where you affixed the tape? I am rattle free at the moment but your comment that it eventually came back has got me worried.

Thanks

- Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts