Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently purchased a 2001 slk320 with 29K miles. Car has been fine, but about 2 months after purchased I noticed a strange rattling/pinging noise coming from the engine when I accelerate at start-up. I am not sure if it is coming from the engine or the exhaust. If I have the car in park and hit the accelerator, the noise is most noticable after I let up on the accelerator and let the car go back to idle. It sounds like metal rattling on metal. I am a novice when it comes to servicing my MB, so please be gentle.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
It could also be the catalytic converter. They're known to disintegrate internally.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883
111 Posts
Like page62 said have the catalytic converters checked. that is exactly what mine did. 2 months after purchas i had the same symptoms and that was the problem. Hope you get it all fixed. Also, the dealership covers them for i believe 8 years or 80,000 miles so if you fall in that zone just take it to them and have them replaced.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
peckels01 said:
Like page62 said have the catalytic converters checked. that is exactly what mine did. 2 months after purchas i had the same symptoms and that was the problem. Hope you get it all fixed. Also, the dealership covers them for i believe 8 years or 80,000 miles so if you fall in that zone just take it to them and have them replaced.
Sounds like cats. 8\80 warranty only available in US.

Guys please take a moment to fill location in profile. We not going to hunt you down to rob, just it's easy to at least know what geographical area people are from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts