Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody experienced this. I was doing 100mph on my 300D Turbo, when it reaches around 95ish to 100, there was this knocking sound, sounds like the dashboard was banging on something. Just curious what's that sound?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Is it only during 100mph runs? Mine has a rattling/knocking sound but it turned out to be the alternator. Look forward to fixing that perhaps this weekend...

Also does it knock/rattle at speed, and not in idle?

A

·
0 Posts
sounds to me like u have a broken shock. or a ball joint. but id check the shock first, especially since uv got a 4 door. people think that it should ride so cloudlike that they often dont notice a bad or broken shock. until u run it. does the car heel like a sailboat during highspeed cornering, ie, 45-50 on an exit ramp?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure all 4 shocks are dead, at least the rear two. The rear seems like I have lowering springs [:D]

What does that have to do with the sound at high speed?

A

·
0 Posts
when the nasty old shocks rust through, the shafts break off. i experienced this myself, thus the good info. the rattling you hear is im 99 percent sure a or both front shocks broken off. then they rattle around in ur shock towers doing absolutely nothing for the suspension, and rattle when going over bumps at high speed. even little road bumps like going on a bridge, ie, the bump ba bump ba bumps. it will get progressively worse, till u change the shocks when ur annoyed enough by the noise. may i reccommend BILSTEIN HD's? from German Star? pretty much the best shocks u can buy for ur stock suspensioned 123. i love mine, i corner like a race car. it could also be ur ball joints right behind the front discs if u turn the wheel sharp and look. but they hardly ever go bad. (unless u run over a concrete traffic divider at 65 miles per hour and take to the air into opposing traffic and land bouncing twice, like i accidentally did a while back.) luckily i got used ones cheap. but they usually shouldnt go bad without some accident, so check the shocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts