Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 ML350 bluetec and at first I thought it only had one problem. The passenger door handle doesn't open the door from the outside. But recently I've noticed a rattling sound from the driver side at idle and slow acceleration. I can't seem to find anything online about the issue so I will attach a video to see if anyone else has had this issue before.

2012 ml350 blutech rattle driver side at idle and slow acceleration #ml350 #benz #mercedes

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
5,936 Posts
I just bought a 2012 ML350 bluetec and at first I thought it only had one problem. The passenger door handle doesn't open the door from the outside. But recently I've noticed a rattling sound from the driver side at idle and slow acceleration. I can't seem to find anything online about the issue so I will attach a video to see if anyone else has had this issue before.

2012 ml350 blutech rattle driver side at idle and slow acceleration #ml350 #benz #mercedes
I have noticed in the last 3 days while going through a drive through mine was making a rattling sound very similar. It’s worse when I’m braking, almost like stones in a tin rattling around. I can’t here it once the windows are up. I was going to pull the front wheels of this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed in the last 3 days while going through a drive through mine was making a rattling sound very similar. It’s worse when I’m braking, almost like stones in a tin rattling around. I can’t here it once the windows are up. I was going to pull the front wheels of this weekend.
I was in a drive through too when I heard it. Never heard it before. I’ve had people telling me it could be loose heat shield, exhaust, or catalytic converter is on its way out. Hopefully it’s an easy and cheap fix.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,989 Posts
Any drivability issues? CEL on?

Rattling at idle is....not good. Use stethoscope to isolate the sound. Best hope it's something like idler pulleys or the AC compressor.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
5,936 Posts
Any drivability issues? CEL on?

Rattling at idle is....not good. Use stethoscope to isolate the sound. Best hope it's something like idler pulleys or the AC compressor.
My rattling is not engine related it seems to be more under braking. It’s like a creaking when slowing and accelerating. I noticed this morning it doesn’t sound anywhere near as loud when cold. Tried rocking the car back and forth and doesn’t make any noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rattling is not engine related it seems to be more under braking. It’s like a creaking when slowing and accelerating. I noticed this morning it doesn’t sound anywhere near as loud when cold. Tried rocking the car back and forth and doesn’t make any noise.
My rattle seems to be coming from a loose exhaust heat shield. I can only hear it at idle and slow acceleration so I'm not in a hurry to fix it but I'll definitely post an update once I get it fixed within the next week or so.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,989 Posts
Both when you apply brakes and then use gas to accelerate? Sounds more like a suspension component. If you have the time or the inclination, you could just spray WD40 or silicon spray around suspect parts (ball joints, suspension bushings, etc) one at a time and then go for a drive. If the noise disappears, it is the last part that you sprayed.

Reactions: mattml430

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Both when you apply brakes and then use gas to accelerate? Sounds more like a suspension component. If you have the time or the inclination, you could just spray WD40 or silicon spray around suspect parts (ball joints, suspension bushings, etc) one at a time and then go for a drive. If the noise disappears, it is the last part that you sprayed.
Yes I thought about doing something similar to this. It’s both sides so once my hoist is free I’ll run it up and pull the wheels off. Will try and reproduce the noise if I can but sometimes once the suspension is in a different position it won’t make the noise. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts