Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a rattle in my 230ce 160k at idle, it go's away over about 1500rpm. its been there for the last 10k / 6 months or so. It sounds like something is loose, like the air filter housing for example, but i cant trace the sound. hot/cold is the same. any idea's....?

·
Registered
1995 E320
106 Posts
rattle

I seem to have si,ilar noice near belt tensioner. Not sure what? IT goes away after I drive for awhile

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is most pronounced when stationary but in drive, if i shift to park or neutral it go's away. I dont think it is the timing chain, but i wanted to be sure

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 230CE engine, but if it resemble the 103 engine(6 cylinders), there a kind of shock absorber close to the serpentine belt tentionner that sometime fail and produces the kind of rattle you are reporting.
Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle

I might have the same problem. I have a 95E320 and when it pulls out or back up, there is like a rattle as if something is loose. When it is cruising you can't here it and after awhile it simply goes away. Last time in the shop I asked them to check but they never did. I don't know if it is belts, engine , exhaust or catalytic converter. I believe it has a sound, like you are shaking a chain link fence?

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea it sounds like what you are describing. i still cant locate it, i think i'll have to take it in and get someone to look for it

·
Registered
1988 300CE
33 Posts
I have the same rattle on my 88 300CE. This morning I took a stick (don't know the part number of the stick) and pushed it against the tensioner shock absorber, and the rattle stopped. Took the stick away and the rattle returned. That's proof enough for me, so I believe the shock needs replacing. Does anyone know if this is a DIY job or not? I know the part is less than $40 online.

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
gld said:
I have the same rattle on my 88 300CE. This morning I took a stick (don't know the part number of the stick) and pushed it against the tensioner shock absorber, and the rattle stopped. Took the stick away and the rattle returned. That's proof enough for me, so I believe the shock needs replacing. Does anyone know if this is a DIY job or not? I know the part is less than $40 online.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8065398144&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

$17

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,124 Posts
Replacing the damper shock on the tensioner is a DYI job. Just be sure to FIRST loosen the big 19MM bolt that goes through the center of the tensioner. If not, when you go to back off the adjusting rod, the tensioner is usually destroys itself. At $100 bucks, it is a costly mistake. Plus you will also need a new adjusting rod. Trust me on this. I made the mistake once.

The center bolt my be a hex head bolt, not sure of the MM.

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts