Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I get a crazy rattle sound coming from my shifter when my car get to 3000 rpm's. Does anyone else have something like this? I have taken the console piece out and looked inside but everything seems tight and as it should be. If you grab the shifter the pitch changes but doesn't go away. Any idea what I can do about this? or anyone know where the noise is coming from? Also are the rpm's right for my car? they seem little high. My car runs at 3000 rpm's at 60 mph and by 75 they are almost 4000 rpm's. Is this right?

If you have read my other questions I will give you an update.

Car no longer smells of oil after cleaning the engine[:)] btw, Does anyone know where the intake for the inside vents are?

I still have bouncy speed-o-meter at like 15 to 35 mph but can live with that, seems everyone else is [:)]

I took my air cleaner off and found out why it was wobbling around. The bracket broke on one end, one of the rubber spacers was ripped in half and the last bolt was really loose and about to come out of the bracked. It is not held on by two tight bolts and is much better. I will be getting a new bracket soon.

Thanks everyone for all the help here!

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
My old Coupe did that. Have not a clue what it was.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Look under the car for the rod that connects the shifter to the transmission. Each end goes into a plastic bushing. I bet one bushing broke out and the rod is vibrating against the metal lever. The bushings are available and cheap.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
While you're at it, make sure you get two bushings. There's one accessible in the car and one from under it. It's near the transmission, driverside, between transmission case and "hump" on floor. Change them together and be done with it. [:)]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KCM you hit the nail on the head. I crawled under and saw exactly what you were talking about. I took the metal clasp thing off and made a bushing out of a pen. (give me a break I'm at work :) Took me about 20 minutes to get the clasp back on. it's not easy when your tools consist of a pen and a pair of scissors[xx(] Took the car up one exit on the e-way and now the rattle is gone!!

Any idea where I can get the part? Is it just plastic or ceramic or something? I don't think my pen will hold up long.

You guys are awsome!

I was a little afraid it was a transmission problem of some kind as it would be at exactly 3000 rpm's that the rattle would start and stop as soon as it went under 3000. The trans must just resonate at the perfect frequency at 3000 rpm's or something [:0] I'm glad it was nothing serious!!!!

Thanks 1,000,000

Mike, who did more work on his car than actual work at work, happy I get paid by the hour! and happy we have a few roll gates! Even is San Diego it gets cold at night [:D]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Good to hear that you found the problem[8D]. Where abouts in san diego are you? im in san diego too! And your right, it was pretty cold tonight, and that wind was just chilling![xx(]

Marsh

·
Registered
502 Posts
Karugs is right, buy two and replace both. I replaced the one in the shifter and shortly after the other broke apart. They are made from a hard plastic of some kind (probably urethane) that is hard but slightly pliable, just enough to get it in the hole. They look like a hole gromment with lips on each side. It was a real bear to get on, and I suspect the one on the transmission is going to be worse yet. I got mine from an aftermarket Mercedes parts dealer I found in Hemmings Motor News, but you might also try the dealer or any online parts store. Postage will probably be more than the bushings. I just described the part and its location and the parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about.

Glad I could help. Those rattles annoy me too.[:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Deathrattle, lol! You'll soon be "fixed" [:D]

Mike, glad you found it! I got mine at Mercedes Source dot com but our hosts might also have them:

www.germanstar.net
www.performanceproducts.com
www.autohausaz.com

While you're at it, you might want to purchase other things to "balance out" shipping costs. Shipping alone might be more expensive than the bushings themselves. Maybe a set of oil filters, or other tidbits you need (like your air filter brackets) should come to mind. [:D]

·
Registered
1983 300td
101 Posts
Transmission Shifter Bushing

Back to this subject. I've changed both my transmission bushing on my wife's 300td and now mine's going bad. I remember that this bushing was really hard to press into the round opening......I remember my fingers hurting like heck. I know that Mercedessource has a kit, but outside of buying the kit, has anyone devised a tool or a method to get this bushing in from under the car?

Any help or suggestions would really help.

·
Registered
w123 300tdt
362 Posts
mikec92117 said:
KCM you hit the nail on the head. I crawled under and saw exactly what you were talking about. I took the metal clasp thing off and made a bushing out of a pen. (give me a break I'm at work :) Took me about 20 minutes to get the clasp back on. it's not easy when your tools consist of a pen and a pair of scissors[xx(] Took the car up one exit on the e-way and now the rattle is gone!!

Any idea where I can get the part? Is it just plastic or ceramic or something? I don't think my pen will hold up long.

You guys are awsome!

I was a little afraid it was a transmission problem of some kind as it would be at exactly 3000 rpm's that the rattle would start and stop as soon as it went under 3000. The trans must just resonate at the perfect frequency at 3000 rpm's or something [:0] I'm glad it was nothing serious!!!!

Thanks 1,000,000

Mike, who did more work on his car than actual work at work, happy I get paid by the hour! and happy we have a few roll gates! Even is San Diego it gets cold at night [:D]
Thats ingenuity taking over so no need to give you a break.
However I wouldn't leave it that way to long.

Here is a link to for these:
http://www.performanceproducts4benz.com/Drawings.aspx?bmid=134

Good luck.
Louis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts