Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this 2006 CLK for about two months and since the weather is warm I have had the top down on most of my travels and have been amazed at how quiet the vehicle is when going over bumps and even RR tracks. But this weekend it was cooler so raised the top and windows and discovered I have a annoying rattle in the right door, and a slightly less annoying rattle in the left door. Before I diagnose this issue, I thought I would seek the combined wisdom of this forum for their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I remember reading here somewhere once that an owner found a loose bolt inside the door which had been rattling.There are two which are accessed via rubber grommets along the door's lower horizontal edge.
You could try checking yours.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember reading here somewhere once that an owner found a loose bolt inside the door which had been rattling.
It was accessed via a rubber grommet about half way along the door's lower horizontal edge.
You could try checking yours.
Thanks, I'll check that out. But wonder why the bolt is not rattling when the window is down. Could be the window has trapped the bolt. Then again if there is a bolt loose in there, what is not being bolted??

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good questions...could be the weight of the glass stops the rattle,,,I don't remember what the bolt was for,,,probably something to do with the glass/regulator?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good questions...could be the weight of the glass stops the rattle,,,I don't remember what the bolt was for,,,probably something to do with the glass/regulator?
Found the source of the rattle. The door regulators have a stud that fits in a bracket at the bottom of the door. You only need to remove a rubber plug on the bottom edge of the door to access the nut holding the regulator in place. On the right side the nut was loose and it was tightened. On the left side the nut was missing so a replacement nut and washer went on that one and tightened. No more rattle and I did not even have to remove the door panels! Sometimes German engineering is awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Great news ! We had a win.
So it was a loose nut,not a bolt. Thanks for the photo,,maybe we should all check ours to make sure they are not getting loose.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news ! We had a win.
So it was a loose nut,not a bolt. Thanks for the photo,,maybe we should all check ours to make sure they are not getting loose.
Before I tightened the nuts I got my bottle of Loctite and it was empty, so when I replace the Loctite I'll back off the nuts and apply a little to each one. They will never get loose again! Wish every repair was so simple.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I just checked my nuts and found they were indeed a little bit loose.
I managed to fix them without any help from my wife.
I used a 10mm socket and a two inch extension,torqued to 12Nm,(thanks to Rodney for the WIS).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked my nuts and found they were indeed a little bit loose.
I managed to fix them without any help from my wife.
I used a 10mm socket and a two inch extension,torqued to 12Nm,(thanks to Rodney for the WIS).
It is not good to have loose nuts! :wink

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
I've been on many aircraft, and thankfully my nuts have never been subject to safety wiring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
gorj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing