Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car seemed to be on the verge of death this morning on my drive to school... everything was normal for about a mile, then i stopped at a traffic light, and the idle became really choppy, and the car was vibrating like crazy... after that it would hardly accelerate, flooring it barely kept the engine going... i was able to limp to some sidestreet and get a ride, but i have to go back and see if i can make it home or to a garage... any idea what the problem could be? the only way i could start it too after it started to get wierd was to start pressing the gas pedal while the starter was going, or else the rpms would just die... help!

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Sounds like life in your fuel system...

I would use some sort of biocide (diesel doctor) and change the fuel strainer (?) by the IP along with the fuel filter after a tankful or two of the stuff. Then follow with some Diesel Purge.

This happens occasionally with my car, and without warning which makes it scary. It's part of the car's charm =0

·
Registered
125 Posts
And check the clear fuel filter for algae. If it's really dirty replace it, and see how...

And check the clear fuel filter for algae. If it's really dirty replace it, and see how it runs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've read that Diesel Purge is an awesome product and seeing this post has made decide to ...

I've read that Diesel Purge is an awesome product and seeing this post has made decide to order some asap.

You may want to read the Mercedessource.com site tips about what you're experiencing:

http://www.mercedessource.com/store/item.php?item=Fuel Filter Set

http://www.mercedessource.com/store/item.php?item=Diesel Purge

It also points out about the use of Diesel Purge, along with doing a fuel filter change after "purging."

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
halle-freakin-luuja, all it was was a cloggey fuel filter, it had a bunch of crap in it ...

halle-freakin-luuja, all it was was a cloggey fuel filter, it had a bunch of crap in it and the flow was nearly nothing... $3 for a new one and it runs fine again, but im still going to look into this diesel purge stuff, 20 years of crap build-up cant be good... thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Pulling the fuel tank is not really difficult. But at least siphon as much as possible out...

Pulling the fuel tank is not really difficult. But at least siphon as much as possible out. I tried the easy way of just replacing filters on an 85 190D 2.2.
Went through severel sets when one or two sets would have worked. I did have a pal who gave me the same advice first, (ignored.

It did not strighten out till I (son) siphoned the tank. The car was a project at the time and had been sitting. But some people have gotten a bad case of algae from just one stop a the wrong filling station at the wrong time.
John Gregg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.