Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,831 Posts
Cool writeup but I agree that it says nothing about the 3.5 being a short-stroke 4.5. It does hint to the fact that the 4.5 is a later variation of the 3.5.

That all gets me thinking... Aren't the heads and intake manifolds from a d-jet 3.5 and 4.5 interchangeable? That would mean that the top end of the motor needs to be identical. Do they have the exact same bore? Is the 4.5 stroke longer only at the bottom end of the engine? Or maybe a totally different angle?

I did like reading the writeup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

It's been posted here and elsewhere that 3.5L cylinder heads have been installed on a 4.5L block resulting in higher compression due to the smaller combustion chambers. Given the obvious block differences as per electro's pics, which would make the span between the heads wider for the 4.5L, the intake manifolds will not interchange, you'd use the 4.5L D-Jet components on the 3.5L heads.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,767 Posts
It's been posted here and elsewhere that 3.5L cylinder heads have been installed on a 4.5L block resulting in higher compression due to the smaller combustion chambers. Given the obvious block differences as per electro's pics, which would make the span between the heads wider for the 4.5L, the intake manifolds will not interchange, you'd use the 4.5L D-Jet components on the 3.5L heads.
Thanks. I had assumed that the intakes were also the same. It shows what happens when I Ass u Me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
38 Posts
the 3.5 I bought new in Canada in '71 with a bit of the tons of cash from smuggling I had, ran rings around any of it's equals of the day. My dealer in Toronto said it's days were numbered, thoough, as the "new" 4.5s were coming - to compensate for loss hp from the anticipated future US smog rules. Sure enough, by '74 SLs were gutless wonders, whether stick or AT.

I'm sure all the under-40 remote -control experts here will argue, foaming at the mouth with uber-bravado, about everything written above - even probably where my commas should be.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,071 Posts
I'm sure all the under-40 remote -control experts here will argue, foaming at the mouth with uber-bravado, about everything written above - even probably where my commas should be.
Tool Of The Day.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
10 Participants
nobby
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing