Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a MB 1995 C36, and was told that they are very rare, as in, 200 in the country. Is that true??

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the US, a little over 500 were imported in 95, 338 for '96 and 236 for '97. How many are really left, is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stox, I noticed from that other forum posted here that you are from Westmont, which dealership did you get your car from?? The one I have been talking about in the general forum is for sale at Luxury Motors in Downers Grove I think. What do you think of the place, or have you purchased any cars from there??

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was unable to find a good C36 here in Illinois. I ended up buying it from a dealer in Newburgh, NY. Luxury Motors is a fairly new outfit, and has been expanding like crazy. I have never done business with them. I can make the following recommendations when looking for a C36:

1) Carfax, a wise investment. 3 C36's, I saw here in Illinois, were totals that were imported from other states to clean the title.

2) Find a mint C36, repairs can eat you alive. Some of the parts are rare and hard to obtain. God help you if you need an ECU. IMHO, less than pristine C36's are not discounted enough to overcome the risk.

3) If you do buy one, find a good independant shop to work on it. If you live in this area, I recommend Helmut and Vito's in Downers Grove.

4) When test driving, if anything feels odd about the suspension, run away.

5) Don't bother to get one with the integrated phone, no one will activate analog phones anymore.

6) For reference, I picked mine up for $13K with 88K miles. It has all options except the phone.

7) Check carefully for oil leaks. The original head gasket had problems, will cost about $1500 to repair if it has not already been replaced.

Best of wishes in your quest.

·
Registered
1999 C43
6 Posts
Luxury Motors has been around for some time. I bought my 43 there 4 years ago. They're not pushy, just efficiently professional. Don't use their financing or service. FYI - Best MB service in the western burbs is Pinnicle Automotive in Westmont (Seven Bridges). Worst service and most expensive is Naperville MB (arrogant snobs).

·
Registered
301 Posts
I see no listings for a "Pinnicle Automotive in Westmont." Do you mean Pinnacle Automotive in Woodridge, by chance?

·
Registered
1995 MB C-36 AMG
4 Posts
I've got a 95 C36 w/ 89K. Runs great, got a small dent in the left rear just below the light. I'm in Midlothian VA ( near Richmond ) will sell for 10K as is.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
west86 - 2/10/2005 2:32 AM

I am considering getting a MB 1995 C36, and was told that they are very rare, as in, 200 in the country. Is that true??
There are three reasons why a car is rare.

1/ They never sold as new cars (e.g. the first year of the Corvette)

2/ People like James Dean drove them

3/ They were too expensive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts