Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wnen I started my CLK 430 yesterday I heard a rapping noise coming from the engine. It sounded like it was in the valve train. I had the car towed to the dealership. They said they heard it too and that it seemed to get quieter as the car warmed up. It seemed to me to go away above 1500 rpm. The dealer thinks it is carbon build up on the valves. I assume they mean exhaust valves. The car has 48,000 miles. Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts? I hope this doesn't mean a valve job. The warranty expired on Tuesday the 15th of March.

Joe

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
i have a simular noise coming from mine, cold it sounds like it's at the front of the top end of both banks especially around 1500 rpm, if you rev the engine up it' ok but on the way down again rattles loudly at 1500-1800 rpm...by the time the engine has wormed to 60c...the noise is gone...bty i have a 2000clk 55 with 50,000 km's and has been nothing but trouble !!!

·
Registered
A.k.A Benzonlorinzo
46 Posts
i get a clicking noise for about 10 seconds when I cold start. Its usually jst the oil not getting to the valves yet . Unfortunely the 208 doesnt have the oil sprayer at cold start .the engine carries 9 liters of oil which all of it end up sitting at the bottom.
I ve seen the same thing on a clk55 and 2 other 430.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I had is now gone. Dealer said it was carbon buildup. They ran something through the intake several times and it cleared it up. It was covered under warranty.[:)]

·
Registered
'02 CLK 430 cabrio
41 Posts
Yes,

I just got told that this is a know issue with a related Service Advisory. It seems it has somthing to do with the lifters being bad. I have my wheels in the shop right now to have this addressed, luckily under warranty. I'll let you know how they fix it and whether they replace lifters and cam lobes or just the lifters. I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll just replace the lifters without touching the camshaft or lobes which really doesn't sit well with me [:(!]

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Storm. - 3/31/2005 3:03 AM

Check to see if you have run over Tupac[:D][:D]
Haha... I was planning to leave a similar comment when I read the ThreadName... I was expecting Thrill to have already left something similar, but you beat us both to it!

As far as the "rapping" noise... I don't have this problem.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
I saw that, but looking at the date on the original thread, you might have to contact them at the old folks home.

·
Registered
2000 clk430
44 Posts
105k on mine and ive had it since 60k no problems have come from it and it goes away when it is a lil warmed up, i hope you all know how bad this site makes our cars sound to an outsider rapping sounds,broken tops, electrical problems etc wow lol

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
15 Posts
I had the same problem when my car started to make that noise around 79k miles and now it has over 132k. It would only does it when the engine has been sitting overnight or hours later. At first I thought it was the timing chain tensioner or the valve train, but it was not. There is a small plate with a allen head plug with copper washer that is held in place by 2 external torx bolts. Once taken apart you will see a rubber gasket that will need to be replace. If you look aound that area and see oil leak or residue than you need to replace the gasket inside. The plate is connected right below oil filter assembly. The valve train needs to hold the oil pressure when the car is shut off. That is the reason why it makes the noise but goes away when proper oil pressure has been reach after few minutes.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
Orion Blue CLK 430: Can you find out what the "something" that they ran through it was? I'd like to talk to my dealer about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
'02 CLK 430 cabrio
41 Posts
I wanted to add to my previous post. Firstly, let me thank VegasCLK because he correctly identifies the issue being related to a drop in oil pressure in the valve train. Previously, I had said that the dealer attributed this to some issues with the lifters. it turns out after speaking to them again that the issue is due to the rocker arms and not the lifters. Nonetheless, I'm going to have to ask them when I go pick up the car today about the gasket that VegasCLK talks about.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
thanks for the update diegoo; can you also specify what the issue was with the rockers and what dealer did to correct it? also, is there a specific service bulletin? thanks!

·
Registered
'02 CLK 430 cabrio
41 Posts
Yep,

The dealer replaced the rocker arms. for crying out loud the car only has 23K miles. i just hope this is not a sign of things to come.

As far as the service advisory is concerned: the dealer was very sketchy when I asked to see it. In other words, I didn't get to see it so I can't give you more details.

just a final thought, I need to test whether what they did actually works but since I like to ride my wheels it will be a while before the car sits long enough for the oil to settle to the point where there's very little lubrication in the valve train.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts