Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is an '85 300TD.

About a month ago I changed out a couple dead glow plugs and for some reason directly after this I feel like I've been burning fuel a lot faster than before. Could there be any correlation here? Around this time it started to get cold here too. Also my fuel level sensor hasn't been accurate ever since I bought the car.

This is my first winter since purchase so I don't really know what to expect here...but I'm putting her away for the salty months come 20 december when I'm back home from school for the holidays.

And one last stupid question...if I've got the cable/plug sticking out from my front grille it means I've got a block heater installed, right? Or did all these cars come with block heaters?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
You may have disturbed a fuel line when changing the glow plugs, check for leaks at the injectors.

The fuel sender may be "gunked" up, or no longer capable of functioning properly. You'll have to remove and inspect it.

Not all came with a block heater, but you have one.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
The additives they put in Winter Fuel reduces the miles pre gallon you get.
But, If you Fuel Gauge is not accurate it would be hard to tell.

·
Registered
1985 300td, 1983 Datsun Maxima Diesel
513 Posts
Vehicle is an '85 300TD.

About a month ago I changed out a couple dead glow plugs and for some reason directly after this I feel like I've been burning fuel a lot faster than before. Could there be any correlation here? Around this time it started to get cold here too. Also my fuel level sensor hasn't been accurate ever since I bought the car.

This is my first winter since purchase so I don't really know what to expect here...but I'm putting her away for the salty months come 20 december when I'm back home from school for the holidays.

And one last stupid question...if I've got the cable/plug sticking out from my front grille it means I've got a block heater installed, right? Or did all these cars come with block heaters?

Hi
Don't depend on the fuel guage. The only way to measure fuel useage is miles driven from fill-up to fill-up.
Joseph

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Also if you can, run a google maps or mapquest mileage between a long drive if possible and compare that mileage against what your odometer reads, which in this case is likely under reporting.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Great tips from all who have responded.

Vehicle is an '85 300TD.

Thanks!!
I wanted to add, if you removed the injector lines while replacing the glow plugs, check to make sure none of them are also leaking. If you also removed the throttle linkages to access the rearmost plug make sure the linkages are nice and tight. Some play could result in poor performance and poor fuel economy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts