Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and did the rear discs and pads. The first wheel took a while, my neighbor helped me with it. Second wheel was amazingly easy and fast as expected (although when I removed the rotor the lower friction pad of the parking brake shoe came off, so I am parking brake less for a while)

I am going to do the fronts tomorrow.

I took a couple of pics before the change... I guess they don't show much but it doesn't hurt to ad some ML pics to the archive.

I also have a couple of pics of recent mods (polished roof rails, painted lower grill, and I removed the orange turn indicator bulbs and replaced with clear bulbs...amazing i know.)

Attachments

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
I finally took the plunge and did the rear discs and pads. The first wheel took a while, my neighbor helped me with it. Second wheel was amazingly easy and fast as expected (although when I removed the rotor the lower friction pad of the parking brake shoe came off, so I am parking brake less for a while)

I am going to do the fronts tomorrow.

I took a couple of pics before the change... I guess they don't show much but it doesn't hurt to ad some ML pics to the archive.

I also have a couple of pics of recent mods (polished roof rails, painted lower grill, and I removed the orange turn indicator bulbs and replaced with clear bulbs...amazing i know.)
looking good... how did you do the roof rails...i am interested in doing that

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Yes, do tell about the rails.

And I hope you took the opportunity to clean out those wheel wells while you had the wheels off.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yea I did do a quick clean of the under area and lubrication of certain parts. I didn't spend as much time as I had hoped to do this but enough to get the job done.

I can honestly say the roof rails were the hardest mod I have done because I did not have a very strong paint stripper.

I got the idea and guide from a member of the forum and his publication:

Here is the thread- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...-roof-rack.html?highlight=polished+roof+rails

Here is the publication-
http://www.benzworld.org/publications.html?id=386

Ideally you want to buy a very strong paint stripper that will essentially allow you to wipe the paint off clean to reveal an unscratched aluminum metal below.

My paint stripper was not strong enough (although labeled as "strong") but it certainly softened and when left long enough it did bubble and remove the paint in some areas. However there was just to much paint not budging so I had to resort to a steel wool grade scouring pad and light sand paper. In the end after some brasso it looks damn good. I also clear coated it which turned out great on the drivers side but it is crap on the passengers side.

Removal of rack was easy. If you plan this mod, purchase the strongest paint stripper you can find, and follow the paint strippers directions properly (ie. let it sit on paint for correct amount of time) then you will not have near as much trouble as I did. My clear coat on the passengers side got screwed because I was getting tired and lazy and sprayed the coat too thick so it ran.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
Can you post some closer pics of the clear turn signal bulbs? I just put some in my Audi and would like to see what they look like on the ML.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Godfather, make yourself a big favour and get a set of stands for the ML. Better be safe than sorry especially when those go for like $30 a pair?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Godfather, make yourself a big favour and get a set of stands for the ML. Better be safe than sorry especially when those go for like $30 a pair?
Hey,

I took that picture when I was just using my brothers BMW wheel (wasn't very happy) but my neighbor brought over two jack stands for me to use.

Almost all the tools I used were borrowed. Luckily I have great neighbors.

Slowly but surely I will hopefully start buying these major items (hydraulic jack, torque wrench, torque bits etc) so I wont have to borrow.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
wait! You were actually resting your truck on his BMW wheel!!???

You're a mean man!!! *LOL*

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know what is really ridiculous?

I ordered the brakes online from ebay on April 18th.

For some reason the seller shipped each disk in separate boxes. The first arrived April 30, the other two yesterday.

I am still waiting for the last one which is one of the front discs.

I dont know why I keep buy from ebay... oh never mind yea it's cheap as hell.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you post some closer pics of the clear turn signal bulbs? I just put some in my Audi and would like to see what they look like on the ML.
Clear turn signal bulbs. Sorry about the rain, I didn't think to wipe the headlights when I took the pics.

Is it possible you were referring to the side marker turn signal bulbs? Because in that case mine are still orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
No that's what I was referring to. How did you get the orange marker piece out?

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
yea, i got silver as well. i didnt put a clear coat or anything, its been holding up perfect in the rain.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I got some of the silver paint for my moms X5 today, I also updated her grille with some chrome strips (took forever cutting and putting on 14 vertical chrome strips)

Do you think the front end of a black X5 would look good with the mesh painted silver?
I have not done it yet because I am unsure of what it will look like and I don't know how the heck to remove them. I don't want to have to remove the whole bumper. What do you think you had an x5 right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I can honestly say the roof rails were the hardest mod I have done because I did not have a very strong paint stripper.
OK, if you could go back, would you have spent $430 to just buy new ones now? Also, was your paint already peeling off?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, if you could go back, would you have spent $430 to just buy new ones now? Also, was your paint already peeling off?

No. I would not have bought new ones.

The difficulty I had was due to my hasty and unplanned methods. Although that is not to say it would be really easy.

The paint was not peeling but it was very dull and there were dark patches visible from where the ski rack used to be fasted for many years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts