Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, when I wash the windscreen with the washer-jets I get a really horrid smell. Smells like someone urinated in my washer bottle. I normally use a nice-smelling screen wash from my local car store. Is there any way to empty the screen-wash tank without just spraying it out? also, what could cause the smell ? I don't believe that screen-wash goes bad. Could there be stale water at the bottom of the tank that is now getting sucked up when I spray ?

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
The storage bottle is located behind the right front wheel.

Remove the fender well liner and it is right there.

I don't know if there is a drain but you can unmount it and dump it out or loosen a hose at the bottom of the bottle and let it drain out.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx AMPM. Guess to loosen the hose will be the easy option. Maybe I'll flush it out at the same time.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Rattle !
I figured I'd flush it out while I dump the old fluid, but the tip of sterilising is a good one too. This is turning out to be a major operation, but I'll be glad when the horrid smell goes away.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You can get a handpump from a hardware store. You should be able to get the majority of the fluid out using it.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230/ 2006 Passat/ 1995 Bronco (Prerunner)
413 Posts
I think my battery leaked acid on the top of the washer bottle because it always leaks when I fill it up. When I changed my battery there was a decent amount of corrosion under it. Maybe it is contaminated by acid. I hope not but a thought.

Andy

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
My guess is that it didn't go bad, but rather a garage filled it up with winter formula. The stuff Mercedes uses from the factory smells like vinegar mixed with some kind of alcohol. Not quite a urine smell, but definitely not pleasant.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi SilverSLK
Luckily its not the battery corrosion. I changed the battery just before christmas, and everytinh was clean down there ! thanx for the tip.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It did smell quite "vinegary" to start with Brian, now its getting worse though... think I'm gonna dump it out and put some nice smelly stuff in.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
if I was a tech at MB and someone pissed me off I would piss in there tank. lol did you rule out human piss?

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They wouldn't piss in my tank. I'm always nice to them, even get them gifts at christmas....
maybe the wine i got them tasted of piss so they returned it !! [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts