Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 06 S350 and forgot there is no low fuel light. Ran flat out of gas on the highway. Luckily I got a ride to get gas and was running again soon. Unfortunately I now have a check engine light on. I know it's from running out of gas but worried I may have damaged the engine somehow when the gas ran out. Any thoughts? (Other than about how stupid I was to run out of gas!)

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
You didn't damage the engine, and the CEL may have nothing to do w/ running out of gas. See your dealer and let them determine what's up w/ that. Here's an article that may be of interest:

Check Engine Light

Good luck!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Read the code from the CEL. It may or may not have anything to do with this event. Make sure to swap out your fuel filter. Whenever you run out of gas, you suck all the gunk from the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter and it gets full.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Oh Stop IT.....

The cel will go off after 6 starts.
Don't go to the dealer unless you need a glass of cheap wine or warm moca.
B

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly the CEl did go off today, probably around the 6th start. I will get the fuel filter replaced, thanks for the tip!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Interestingly the CEl did go off today, probably around the 6th start. I will get the fuel filter replaced, thanks for the tip!
It would also be a good idea to run some fuel injector cleaner thru the fuel system. Chevron Techron is what MBZ recommends. I'm sure those injectors didn't like that gas gunk too much. I'd bet they are now spraying all over the place because they are half clogged with sediment!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts