Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E 200,000+ miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I know I'm gonna get some crap for this but I ran out of gas.

I've had an issue with the gas level float and putting it off till I order my parts for my top end rebuild. My car consumes oil and is in need of the valve guides to be replaced.

I put 5 gallons of Shells 91 and tried to start it. I put the key into the second position and waited till all dash lights and sensors did their checks, I heard the humming of the fuel pump and then waited for the seat belt buzzer to go off and tried to start. It turns over but does not fire. I did this several times and each time it wants to start but no cigar.

So my question is where do I start. I've read that if you run out of gas that the 300E is hard to restart. Being I drove it just 3 hours before hand and ran out of gas. What should I check.

Thanks in advance guys, have a great weekend.

Jean

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,604 Posts
I don't know if I would check anything yet; you may want to spray some starter fluid in the throttle or the intake somewhere, like they do when a NASCAR driver stalls it on pit road or tries to start it after running it out of fuel. It happens.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,089 Posts
Be sure you have a fully charged battery that is in good shape.

Add at least 5 gallons of fuel. The more the merrier.

Ignore the warning lights, just crank for 30 seconds straight. Wait 1 minute. Crank for 30 seconds, wait 1 minute and repeat this cycle until it starts.

Don't push the throttle as that won't really help to fire it up quicker.

Keep the starter engaged (key in position 3) until engine is running smoothly. Don't release the key at the first signs of engine life.

·
Registered
1989 300E 200,000+ miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah great thanks guys, just the instructions I was looking for.:)

·
Registered
E220,W124
6 Posts
Try to put the ignition,wait 30 seconds,repeat that 5 time.Every time you must hear the fuel pump make some noise.Then activate the starter.Should be running again if you have enough fuel in the tank.My car ran out of gas too.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
11,298 Posts
WAY easier to crack the brass plug on the lower side of the fuel distributor with the pump on and then as you try to start. Makes quick work of this and saves your starter. When you don't see anymore air bubbles, tighten the plug.

Kevin

·
Registered
1986 300E MBZ
21 Posts
WAY easier to crack the brass plug on the lower side of the fuel distributor with the pump on and then as you try to start. Makes quick work of this and saves your starter. When you don't see anymore air bubbles, tighten the plug.

Kevin
were is the fuel distributer please i have same problem with car wont start

·
Registered
1986 300E MBZ
21 Posts
Seriously??? Did you even bother to use the forum search engine???

Hint: Just follow the steel lines.
no disrespect bud but i dont know how to upload a picture to my page i did it once and dont remember .but should there be a certain amount of gas in tank so it helps crank over i hear then fuel pump buzz but car wont fire up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.