Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
3,168 Posts
Salmon, Thanks for the links. I too have a problem (or do I?) I live in the desert so rain is not a biggie. If it is raining I turn on the switch to the first position. It wipes once but never again unless I reset the switch. I am confused in reading the first pdf. It says:

"When the combination switch (S4) is switched on or when circuit 15R is switched on, when the combination switch (S4) is already in the interval position the window is wiped once, even when it is dry."

Sounds like it is repeating itself or have I been out in the sun too long?
Anziani

·
Registered
1997 S420 Midnight Blue 113,000
398 Posts
Rain sensor mis behaving

I need some assistance on this... My rain sensor works only if I push the entire plastic enclosure closer to the windshield... in other words, if I turn it on it will not work... when I put my hand on the housing for the sensor under the rear view mirror and push it (very slightly) towards the glass, it turns on and works perfectly... any ideas? can I adjust the rain sensor housing?
My rain sensor in the first position has not worked probably since I had the windshield replaced after the big Sandy we had here. However after reading your note, I pressed up on it and noticed that the wipers made one pass, so assuming the sensor is good, what's the trick for keeping it tight against the windshield?

·
Registered
Mercedes S500 - W140 && S500 W220.
821 Posts
Salmon, Thanks for the links. I too have a problem (or do I?) I live in the desert so rain is not a biggie. If it is raining I turn on the switch to the first position. It wipes once but never again unless I reset the switch. I am confused in reading the first pdf. It says:

"When the combination switch (S4) is switched on or when circuit 15R is switched on, when the combination switch (S4) is already in the interval position the window is wiped once, even when it is dry."

Sounds like it is repeating itself or have I been out in the sun too long?
Anziani
Hi,
I am sorry I saw this post too late.
I too am in the desert (Middle East) and have exactly the same problem as you have described.
Just that since rain is such a seldom occurrence, I have stopped caring about it ...
Maybe I will find time in coming weeks to go through the maintenance manuals and find a solution.
cheers

·
Registered
99" CL500 , 99' CL500, 97' S500, 01' S500, 02’ G500, 09’ G550
2,158 Posts
My rain sensor in the first position has not worked probably since I had the windshield replaced after the big Sandy we had here. However after reading your note, I pressed up on it and noticed that the wipers made one pass, so assuming the sensor is good, what's the trick for keeping it tight against the windshield?
Havent figured it out but yea... you and I are in the same boat... wonder what the problem is... I figure, the housing needs replacement after the sun has beat on it so long.

EDIT know what, My wind screen has been replaced too and its not a benz replacement. I read somewhere that the rain sensor need a special "rain sensor wind shield" because of a reflective coating for the system that the screen is impregnated with... is yours an original screen?

·
Registered
1997 S420 Midnight Blue 113,000
398 Posts
Havent figured it out but yea... you and I are in the same boat... wonder what the problem is... I figure, the housing needs replacement after the sun has beat on it so long.

EDIT know what, My wind screen has been replaced too and its not a benz replacement. I read somewhere that the rain sensor need a special "rain sensor wind shield" because of a reflective coating for the system that the screen is impregnated with... is yours an original screen?
It is a replacement windshield, however it has spaces ( no shading) where the sensor fits. I discovered this cause I replaced my rear view mirror. When that is off, it gives you access to the sensor etc. When I had ithe sensor out the side that faces out was covered with a gummy substance that must have been a glue of some sort. So being the genius I am, I cleaned it off with a acetone cleaner. So, based on having the right windshield with the correct spaces for the sensor, I guess I have to figure a way to "glue" it back on.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
99" CL500 , 99' CL500, 97' S500, 01' S500, 02’ G500, 09’ G550
2,158 Posts
I don't know man, maybe one of the 1%'s(elites) can chime in... I'd love to get this fixed. My windshield is not a "Mercedes" brand... not sure what you mean by spec... would a picture help identify if mine is spec or not? actually now that you bring it up, I think some sort of adhesive would remedy the issue... I'll wait and see if we can get some input.

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
515 Posts
Back from the dead, well at least this thread, not my rain sensor. Didn't even know I had one until I realized (like Anziani) the few times I drive this car out of town and get stuck in rain, it's ANNOYING! I Too fast or too slow, rubbing noises, and I'm going to wear my plastic stalk out! figured this car just must have one, and it does. I will have my guys try to reprogram with STAR. Barring that fix, and knowing with 999.9% certainty this is not the original windshield, is there a fix?

On a side note, I just purchased a NOS plastic cover for the housing above the mirror. The old one had been glued back by a PO and kept falling out. I tried to shove it back into place and it went to pieces. I wonder if someone was in there fiddling around trying to fix this years ago.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts