Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200K
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any more information on getting the rain sensors activated. I have asked my dealer and he has told me that the sensor in the windscreen is for the auto lights not a rain sensor. If it is there where is it activated?

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
merc220 - 5/3/2005 3:23 PM

Has anyone got any more information on getting the rain sensors activated. I have asked my dealer and he has told me that the sensor in the windscreen is for the auto lights not a rain sensor. If it is there where is it activated?
once again the dealers stun us with their non-knowledge!

they need to hook up the Star Diagnostic System to the car and enable it through the software.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
ianx, manchester - 5/4/2005 8:35 PM

once again the dealers stun us with their non-knowledge!
Hi Ian,

just remember, we've bought them and drive them, the stealers just fix them for us when they go wrong ... through this forum, we have probably got a far better knowledge base than even MB have, let alone the local dealer.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
The rain sensor has to be somewhere where the wipers can clear it. Other wise the system would not work.

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
I believe it is at the base of the windscreen. I think there is a notch out of the black surround just off centre where it is located, whether or not we opted for it.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
I have the rain sensor and I am sure it is the thing housed in the mirror unit visible from the outside at the top of the windscreen - it was the same on my CLK and I did not have auto lights on that. The previous poster is right - it has to be cleared by the wipers otherwise, logically it wold not work.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a sensor at the top of the windscreen in the center near the mirror, this works the lights as I have tested it, it does get cleared by the wipers. Can someone with the rain sensor on their car post a picture so I can see if mine looks the same.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
merc220 - 5/6/2005 9:14 PM

There is a sensor at the top of the windscreen in the center near the mirror, this works the lights as I have tested it, it does get cleared by the wipers. Can someone with the rain sensor on their car post a picture so I can see if mine looks the same.
All R171's have the rain sensor fitted as standard - it is either an at cost option when you buy it or a Star Diagnostic input to get it activated.

·
Registered
SLK200
13 Posts
There has been some discussion in this thread about the position of the rain sensor - I hope this might clear things up.
It is my understanding that there is not a single point sensor. The sensing principle is this: A number of light emitting diodes (emitting light outside the visible spectrum) are positioned at the edge of the screen directing light across it. As the light passes across the screen it bounces back and forth from the insides of the outer surface and the inner surface. Sensors at the other edge of the screen measure that amount of light that reaches them. As rain falls on the screen this reduces the reflectivity of the outer surface such that light hitting a rainspot is not reflected back into the screen and, as a result the amount of light that reaches the sensors is reduced and the need for the wipers to sweep is identified

Hope this helps

Chris

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
i asked my dealer about rain sensors about 3 months ago.
he told me it comes on the car but basically costs more if you want the feature activated.

So.. some dealers do know some things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its the same sensor as the light sensor. At least that is what the information says on WIS regarding how to remove it.

Therefore it is the sensor where the rear view mirror is.

WIS did refer to a workshop sheet for activation which I don't have.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts