Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
s 320 cdi dec 2005. Today , hot sunny day for a change, and wipers kept on coming on when no rain at all. Just gave couple of wipes and stopped. Turned off and back on again to rain sensitive position and kept on doing it. Any one else had this. Or any idea why??

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
996 Posts
On a sunny day, my 2001 E320 rain sensor sometimes cause the wiper to wipe one time when I make a right turn. The dealership never found anything. I simply never leave it on auto mode on a sunny day.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
The sensor is not responding to water... it is triggered by patterns of light refraction. Is it possible to get those same patterns without water? Well, if your wipers operate when there's no water then the answer must clearly be yes. ;) In reality, they do say that the wipers should be turned off if not in use. IIRC, earlier models (back to '97) always wiped once at startup if the wipers were left in the sensing mode. I notice that they don't do this on my 2006 SLK, but they still will misfire on occasion if I forget to turn them off and there is no water hitting the windshield.

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
taroliw said:
The sensor is not responding to water... it is triggered by patterns of light refraction. Is it possible to get those same patterns without water? Well, if your wipers operate when there's no water then the answer must clearly be yes. ;) In reality, they do say that the wipers should be turned off if not in use. IIRC, earlier models (back to '97) always wiped once at startup if the wipers were left in the sensing mode. I notice that they don't do this on my 2006 SLK, but they still will misfire on occasion if I forget to turn them off and there is no water hitting the windshield.
That is very interesting..."patterns of light refraction"...the other day the wipers on my SLK misfired a couple of times while I was driving through the strong shimmering sunlight being reflected off a mirrored building.

·
Registered
ML500
140 Posts
Yup, mine occasionally go off when driving on roads with lots of leafy trees, where the light is partially obscured by the leaves (and thats true on the last few MB's i've had with auto-wipers)

R

·
Registered
ML320CDI and ML320 CDI
126 Posts
Be grateful, they work. On my last car a BMW 5 series (E60) they took an age to work, even when they were adjusted to be more sensitive. I think the Mercedes ones are so much better and very rarely put a foot wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts