Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in soft top mode, when it rains, even for a short time, i end up with a swimming pool under and behind the drivers seat, do you think rain is geting thru the soft top lid seal?<br> <br> help appreciated<br> <br> sam

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sam I think you may be suffering from a similar problem I have on my 82 500 SL. It's because the small rubber tube is missing which drans the water away from underneath the soft top cover panel.<br> There is a small rubber gromet that you should be able to see just next to the front latches of the soft top cover panel, this is supposed the have a tube attatched to it, which drains any water that gets under the cover into the inner gard. whith out this it will go onto the back floor pan.<br> <br> You can get to the tube by removing the rear quater trims. I thought it a good idea whilst in hear to clean it out and put in some fish oil or cavity wax to reduce the chances of rust.<br> <br> I found my tube however was missing on the RH side, so I will have to either make one or try to source one.<br> <br> Good luck<br> <br> Damian

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SL
3 Posts
Re: Re: Rain Problem

I have the same problem with rain water accumulating in the foot well behind the driver side while in soft-top mode. I removed the panel as you suggested, and the drain tube was still there in good condition. I even tested it by pouring water into the grommet and watching it drain onto the ground (and not into the foot well). There must be another source of leak. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
82 500 SL
41 Posts
soft top leak

Steve

I did have another problem where someone previous to me had ran som extra wireing in to the car for an alarm and had pulled of the gromet that seals the bonnet or hood release cable to the firewall. This caused water to travel in through the gutter at the back of the bonnet onto the release cable sheath and run into the car through the firewall. This had me tricked for a few days but some silicone soon fixed it.
This problem should however exsist no matter what top you had on.
You may also want to check all the rubbers around the front back and windows, although they would have to be pretty far gone to cause a big leak and you could probebly see it running down. Unless it was getting under the front of the soft top and running down the inside of the A pillar trim, due to the top of the A pillar seal being missing.

These cars should seal up very well, but after people
re-paint them an leave bits off or install after market equipment and remove things they think arn't needed you usually run into problems.

I had a lot of problems with my hard top, because after it was painted they didn't seal between the roof guttering and the roof it self, water came in by the bucket load behind the channeling that holds the window seals in.(Nice)

Have a bit of a look at these points and let us know how you get along.

Damian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts