Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 W123 200, 1980 C107 450 SLC, 1979 C107 450 SLC
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought my '80 SLC last week, and last night it endured the rain for the first time under my ownership. This morning, as I was pulling down the sun visors to put up a sun shade, I noticed a water droplet hanging from the roof at the swivel-arm-mounting-thingy of the right hand side sun visor. Attached a photo of said droplet (if I did not screw up the attachment process)

I have heard talk of the sun roof draining hole clogging up and rusting away, causing water leaks inside the car. Does this sound like the likely scenario here? How do I get to the draining holes to inspect them? A link to an existing forum topic / D.I.Y. guide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Open the sunroof and look in the front corners of the roof well. Those drain holes exit at the leading edge of the door jamb.

The rear drain holes are not visible. Located in the rear corners of the roof opening, they drain out from underneath the bottom edge of the louvered fixed window's chrome trim. With the car on an incline a small bit of water poured into the channel should exit there.

My sunroof drains were never an issue so I cannot speak to clearing them.

·
Registered
1985 W123 200, 1980 C107 450 SLC, 1979 C107 450 SLC
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at the leading edge of the door jamb
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "door jamb"? :eek:

With the car on an incline a small bit of water poured in the channel should exit there.
I'll try that and check the water runs out.

Thanks for the tips

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "door jamb"?

Pardon my American slang.

Roughly defined, the vertical surfaces of the opening the door fits into. The front drains are near the lower door hinge, draining out across the door sill and under the bottom edge of the closed door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts