Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML CDI, 1967 250SL(early), 1984 280 SL, 2004 E320 wagon, 2015 ML 250, 1999 E300TD
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a downpour sunday nite in north NJ.
I had my ML CDI parked outside.
After the rain storm - about 7 am I hear the car alarm go off.
I go outside and tried to stop the alarm by closing and opening the door lock with the smart key but it did not function.
I go in and start the car and after running for a full 2 minutes the alarm horn stops.
I get a signal- SRS malfunction- go to service center. I ignore the message and head to the office. The car runs fine except the directional signals, the fuel gauge and the wipers don't function, but at least the A/C was OK.
It's about 40 mile commute. After about an hour I go out and check the car. Now all is 100% normal. All systems functions properly. No SRS warning either.
I presume the heavy rain somehow wetting electrical components was the cause.
But I wonder why the alarm was set off?
Any insight would be appreciated.
thanks
jz

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
Glitch that resolved itself.

·
Registered
2007 ML 320cdi, 2010 prius, 1975 MGB, 1969 VW Karmannghia, 1969 VW "bug" Cabro
27 Posts
I go outside and tried to stop the alarm by closing and opening the door lock with the smart key but it did not function.
I go in and start the car and after running for a full 2 minutes the alarm horn stops.
I get a signal- SRS malfunction- go to service center. I ignore the message and head to the office. The car runs fine except the directional signals, the fuel gauge and the wipers don't function, but at least the A/C was OK.
It's about 40 mile commute. After about an hour I go out and check the car. Now all is 100% normal. All systems functions properly. No SRS warning either.
thanks
jz
Your "SAMS" computer/control box in the lower right rear fender got a few drops of water on the circuit board.That is why it is erratic sometimes seems to fix itself--the water is drying. If it corrodes there will be a permanent malfunction. Water probably came in through the tail light gasket area. but could be from around the window or roof rack. It only takes a few drops. A new SAMS will cost you over $300 plus labor. I "fixed" mine by putting a couple of cheap sponges on top of the SAMS and then wadding up newspaper and filling the cavity. If water drips in the paper will soak it up before it hits the SAMS! My M-B dealer wanted $100's to install a new gasket and then had the gall to say they were not sure it would fix it. Now I check the newspaper for dampness couple times a year at no cost! It was a known problem--note the 2012 and up models have this computer under the rear seat. There is also a post on this forum about a person who took his SAMS apart and cleaned it--mine was too corroded to clean

·
Registered
2007 ML CDI, 1967 250SL(early), 1984 280 SL, 2004 E320 wagon, 2015 ML 250, 1999 E300TD
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Don. I will look at the rubber seals/gaskets in that area.
Its odd. The car has sat out in much heavier rains over the last 6 years and it never happened.
I quess it was the perfect storm!

·
Registered
08 e350 / 08 ml350 / 08 ML63
6 Posts
Hello everyone if i may add my 2 cents.This same thing happened to me only it affected my rear tailgate from opening as well as the lights staying on.It happened a few times during heavy rain then two weeks after super storm sandy my "SAMS" died on me and so did everything else.I had no idea that those gaskets around the taillights malfunction over time.I decided to put the car through insurance not knowing at the time that this is a known problem with the taillight gaskets until my insurance agent informed me they would not cover the car at all even though the car was affected from Sandy.Well the stealer wanted $2700 to install a new "SAMS",Wiring harness which consisted of either the relay box or fusebox and new gaskets plus labor
charges.
Since I'm in the business I paid the diagnostic charges and took the car to a great mechanic and they replaced the "SAMS" which by the way must be programmed by mercedes before installation so that was another hidden charge and all the gaskets.All told that gasket failure cost me $1,700 and change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was me a while back, took apart the sam. after a sudden down pour, my car goes whack, horn, wipers, blinkers the works. Had to pull into a parking lot and let it dry off. Some glitches alike blinkers were still inoperable. I have a MB mechanic friend told me to buy some circuit/electronic cleaner spray from radio shack and clean the sam board. Unplugged all the connectors from the sam and opened the square plastic casing consisting of 8 tabs/PIA. Sure enough, corrosion all over the circuit board. Looked like it's been building over some time, nothing too bad . Took the spray and drenched it and took a used tooth brush to the heavy areas and q-tips on the other. Board looked clean and re-installed it, but left it kind of floating in that area. Bad placement from factory to have it in the loweset part in the wheel well area. Everything was fine after that, only took $15 and 30 min.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This happened to me today, car was parked outside for the night with heavy rain, SRS msg is on and no turn signal,wippers, front light... Have to desiconnect manualy the reverse light and brake light as they would not turn off after the car was parked.
Now is drying at a covered parking, hope it works fine tomorrow if it drains...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well.... left the car drying at the parking lot for a day and outside on the sun for a couple of ours, the I used for an entire day, driving arround 400 km
and problem persist :(
I don't have turn signal, reverse lights, fuel quantity, back door doesn't latch, whippers don't move, and power seats also don't do a thing...

Is there a master CB that can be causing all this malfunctions? I have checked a few of them and they were fine....

I the mean time I'm driving my 1982 230E that doesn't care about the rain :)

·
Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,206 Posts
I used to have that problem all the time in my 211. Whenever it would rain I would get an SOS message for the tele-aid on the display. I finally dug into it with my independent and we found a corroded connector on the tele-aid module itself. I was able to clean it up and put some RTV around it when I connected it back. After that I had no problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, sad news, my rear SAM is damaged, the only solution is to get a new one, here in Chile it's not in stock and it cost $1,900.00 Usd not according to the prices written in this thread, so any one knows a good source to buy parts online in the US so I can get it there and then send it here...

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, w210 e55t 2001
1,720 Posts
thanks
jz
i learned thi the hard way. 8 months at the dealer and around 5,000usd. both front and rear sams are in the worst position. mercedes should do a recall on this. now everytime it rains im scared to bring the ml out.

·
Premium Member
2009 ML 320 Blue Tec - 2008 ML 320 CDI - 2005 E320 CDI
255 Posts
If you are wondering where it is located, it is in the right rear of the cargo compartment. Open the panel on the right side and the Sam is located below the fuse panel in the bottom of the space.
In 2010 or 2011 they moved the rear Sam and placed it under the right rear seat to avoid the water issue.

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
Heavy rain in FL caused our ML350 electronics to glitch. The alarm went off (won't stop) and the rear hatch would not stop locking/unlocking unless I disconnected the battery. I checked the rear fuse box area and felt some dampness so I bet the SAMS computer/control box got wet. I'll try to dry or replace the SAMS box as well as buy some silicone to seal some possible areas where water got in.

Sorry for my post above, it wasn't helpful.

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
43sqd, thanks very much for the tail lamp seal info!
Do you have any diagram or procedure on how to remove or open the SAMS box so I could dry it? The SAMS is in a tight spot and the wires don't seem to have a notch that I could press then pull out.
I could disconnect the alarm horn but I'm don't know what to do on how to stop the rear hatch from locking/unlocking. I have a fan on the SAMS now, I hope once dry that it would go back to normal.

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
Thanks for the videos! I'll see if I can do this or not.
I'll second what the English speaking mechanic said because I have a bad feeling that it's what I have too..."I don't know, it doesn't look good at all"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts