Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title pretty much sums it up.. 1992 400se. sat for 10 yrs w/out running.
when I dis/re connect battery, the radio asks for the code. I enter code but the radio or tape player or cd wont work.
obviously the fuse is good because there is power going to the radio. also the antenna wont go up dn. I hear the motor turning but antenna doesn't move.
every once in a while the radio will work.
any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
'99 S420 116K
1,409 Posts
There is a lot of info about your specific issues from previous discussions. Hirschmann antennas with gear driven cabling, Becker radios, wiring, amp issues, you name it, someone has already discussed it. In a few hours you should be able to find all you need to diagnose your problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
208 Posts
In a few hours you should be able to find all you need to diagnose your problems. Good luck!
:)) I was going to suggest the same. Way too much information in the archives.

MY'92 will have the 3(4)-piece system, described again just a few days ago here:

If the head unit accepts the code and powers up, but nothing happens, most likely the problem is the tuner box in the trunk.

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:)) I was going to suggest the same. Way too much information in the archives.

MY'92 will have the 3(4)-piece system, described again just a few days ago here:

If the head unit accepts the code and powers up, but nothing happens, most likely the problem is the tuner box in the trunk.
ok been searching and coming up dry. looking for troubleshooting guide links. what am I doing wrong here? can someone send along a link for troubleshooting? thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
can someone send along a link for troubleshooting?
Too many come up and I have hard time deciding what exactly you are looking for. As I wrote earlier, my money is on the tuner box in the trunk. Look up BECKER BE1532.

Some good links:

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
240 Posts
Pick-n-Pull is having a 40% off sale this weekend. If they have a 92-94 W140 in the yard, you can pick up a stereo for about 5 bucks. As to the antenna, if it's making a noise but nothing is happening, it's likely the white plastic gear that's at fault, but not 100% guaranteed. You likely have the Hirschmann AUTA 6000 EL. It's either the gear is broken (relatively easy fix) or the mast is bent/broken. Again, I'd go to the junkyard for parts.

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Determined that the cold weather is effecting the functionality of tuner. I brought it inside to warm up, reinstalled and it works fine

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,009 Posts
Was the unit you took inside the head unit, or the tuner in the trunk?

Cold sensitivity is probably a cracked solder joint on a PCB.

Jon

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the tuner in the trunk. Is this a joint that i could visibly see and re solder? What does the pcb look like?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The PCB is the printed circuit board that all the electrical components are mounted on. There are literally hundreds of solder joints. With a magnifying glass and a lot of patience you might or might not find the offending joint. If you have a friend who's familiar with electronics repair, you might enlist their help. Or send the unit to the Becker repair facility. Or find a working unit at a pick n pull.

Jon

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got a replacement unit. it does the same thing. if I bring the receiver unit from the trunk inside and get it up to room temp and plug it back in, it works, doesn't work when cold.
is this a common issue w these receivers?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If it does the same thing, I'd check the wiring on the connectors. Try wiggling the wires when the receiver is hooked up, but not working, to see if it may be a connector issue, or a wire to terminal issue inside the connector. Also, get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and clean the terminals in the connector.

Chances of two receivers doing exactly the same thing are very small.

Edit: Another thing to try is when it fails cold, unplug it, let it sit a few minutes, and plug it back in and try it immediately. If it works then, you've either got a connector problem, or something else in the wiring has a bad connection, heating up when turned on, and causing high resistance and bad connection. Start at the fuse and grounds.

Jon

·
Registered
2001 CLK320 Coupe
11 Posts
A rogue solder point somewhere showing intermittent failure from temperature change. And or moisture is present damage. Put one of those odoban damp-rid' s. 3 days in the trunk near ekectronics. The pellets turn into a solid mass if moisture was present. Dispose of it. Cant hurt, very cheap. And you will have more information. If no moisture, you can dismiss that cause. In my case was totally moisture from missing plastic pin, a mechanic failed to replace allowing car wash water to drip on amp etc in trunk.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I've been researching this as a friend of mine is having a similar issue on his 93 600-SEC. Apparently, the receivers in the trunk can have bad capacitors just like the amps.

But this still doesn't explain the exact same symptoms that the OP is having with two different receivers.

Jon

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Repaired lots of these radios 1st Gen(92&93) and 2nd Gen (94-99), and the culprit part are the electrolytic(can looking parts) capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors go bad like cheese or milk. No mater if do not drink most of the milk or not it will go sour..... Store it in warm or cold area may prolong, or accelerate the expiration time, but THEY WILL EXPIRE.......

The 1st gen is more complex than the 2nd gen units. 1st gen unit are very labor intensive to fix.

Is the head unit coming on? are you getting a "E2-Error". The heart of the unit is the tuner, and the DVD players are double the size of the 2nd gen units, and they CANNOT be OPENED to fix them. If the radio comes on, you can tune a radio station? Then more than likely it is your amp. The tuner has these two 3/8" diameter black and white two pin round connectors that plug in. Those are the speaker out to the amp, or audio out to the amp. Well you can drive a speaker for testing purposes to see if the tuner is working.

Most of the time it is just the amp that fails first, and those capacitors fail first, and leak too. One has to use fresh new capacitors obtained from Mouser Electronics or DigiKey in the USA or Farnel in Europe. Ebay caps just will not cut it. The class D section of the amp one has to use low-esr type capacitors, or those 3 amp boards will pop the transistors.

There are about few hundred capacitors with all three units

You cannot just change the head unit as it is not wired to take a "normal" radio system as with the 1st gen all the speaker wires go to the trunk. Power and antenna does also. The head gets all its power from the tuner via a special multi conductor closed harness. No audio signals travel through that harness...

The other way is to transplant a+ 94 radio/amp including the wiring harnesses and amplifier mounting brackets. Possibly the antenna too...

All the best,

Martin

·
Registered
1992 400se
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes tuner comes on and and i can change stations. never gotten an error message. But the temp outside needs to be around 40* f. Much below that and the radio lights come on and antenna goes up but no radio cd or tape function. But no error codes

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Similar situation on the friend's car (93 600-SEC) I'm working on. Everything works for a few minutes, then with a loud pop, it quits. Occasional popping after that. Until that happens, all channels work and sound is normal. No error codes, and the head unit display is normal. In his case, the antenna works normally. If I turn the head unit off after it's quit working, the antenna goes down.

In my friends case, the amp was recently rebuilt, to the tune of $1000 for repair and R & R. Not sure who did the work.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the situation is similar, and I thought what helps one might help the other.

Jon

·
Registered
208 Posts
Everything works for a few minutes, then with a loud pop, it quits. Occasional popping after that. Until that happens, all channels work and sound is normal. No error codes, and the head unit display is normal.
If the car is from the same build period as mine (10th character of the VIN "P", option code 810) and has the 3/4 piece system I described in earlier posts, then the loud pop and nothing afterward is a telltale sign that the brick BOSE amp is done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts