Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my S320 started a new....hobby. It won't play the radio or a cassette, instead when you turn the radio on, it shows the station for just a second, then switches over to "PHONE" mode, and I can't get it out of that mode. Now here's the funny thing though, my car was not built with the option for an integrated portable cell phone. It's never said "PHONE" before...hell I didn't even know it COULD do that. There's no phone buttons on my radio headunit, so I have no idea as to why it's doing this or how I can get it out of it.

I'm very frustrated with this car at the moment. It's just one expensive thing after another.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I guess first port of call would be to disconnect the battery see if it resets itself somehow then enter the radio code.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts
Sound's Familiar to me , well it couldent be " ET Phone Home " now would it , as Nz Benz says , make sure you have the Radio Code 1st then Disconnect the Batterie & wait for a while ,2/3 minutes, then Reconect it , enter the Radio code & try again , also recode your Windows while you are at it, keep Window button press't more than 1 sec up/down , done .
Hope it works for you ,if not sounds like ( hopefully not ) a new Radio, Hurray .
Ciao:thumbsup:
Et Phone Home / S320 Phone Home / Et Phone Home / S320 Phone Home /

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
So today my S320 started a new....hobby. It won't play the radio or a cassette, instead when you turn the radio on, it shows the station for just a second, then switches over to "PHONE" mode, and I can't get it out of that mode. Now here's the funny thing though, my car was not built with the option for an integrated portable cell phone. It's never said "PHONE" before...hell I didn't even know it COULD do that. There's no phone buttons on my radio headunit, so I have no idea as to why it's doing this or how I can get it out of it.

I'm very frustrated with this car at the moment. It's just one expensive thing after another.
Where's Chad, did he sell that turd??? .:big laugh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just had a terrible thunderstorm last night ... real bad. Jumped into the S500 this morning and "PHONE" is all i could get my radio to say... that is AFTER it went to the radio channel briefly. Sound fimiliar???? Yeah... im seeing a pattern!

SO.... now where do we go from here?????

·
Registered
1992 500SEL
153 Posts
Are you saying you don't have a phone equipped? You should, and make sure the switch is in the off position on the handset. Otherwise, your HU is going south, or somehow the phone signal is being enabled on your wiring harness.

If you have the Bose Beta system, with the older Becker, you could try to pull that connector (the one with the two wires) and see if it goes away. If its the Bose system after that, that test wont work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problem. I opened the place below the phone and there is a 4 prong connector with three wires it in connected to nothing. I tried the battery thing and it worked until I shut off the car and tried to restart it and phone came back

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
sounds like your mute line is shorted to either ground or 12V (I think it is ground)

pull out the headunit, and remove the mute line from the harness, if that doesnt fix it, get a new headunit.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
looks like your car really wants you to make a phone call first..before listening to the radio.
The fix is simple...make the darn phone call :p then listen to the radio

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
that is the wierd thing, the phone doesn't turn on at all. I even unplugged it
my answer was just me being a jokster. I really don't know why that is happening with your radio. Sounds like a wire issue, water getting into wires, bad ground etc. What exactly did you disconnect? Did you check for a phone fuse. If you find it take the fuse off see if the radio goes back to normal. Do you hear any noise from the back, when I turn my phone on(by moving the switch at the earset) I hear noise in the back as if the antenna is going up though I don't know if this is normal....but I wouldn't mind to know how these phones even work. Every now and then I pull a joke to people in the back , by opening the compartment and grabbing the set "Who would you like to make a phone call?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts