Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 Sl500, and recently had some work done that involved disconnecting the battery. My car was missing the codecard for the radio, so the indie shop I use called the dealer and got the security code for my VIN. It would not activate the radio, so my mechanic pulled the radio and discovered that it was a rebuilt unit not original to the car. So he called the dealer again and got the code for the radio based on it's serial number. That code does not work either. So he told me to take the car to the dealer. What will they do to get the correct code?

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
getting the code based on the replacement radio serial number should have done it for ya.
Maybe the indy messed up a letter or number when giving the serial number to the dealer to get the code ? Also are you sure your using the correct procedure to enter the code ?

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
after you put in the digits you are hitting the "SC" button, right? sometimes the simplest things can mess us up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am following the procedure in the manual, hitting the button with "ok" above it after inputting code. I too am hoping something got written down wrong or heard wrong over the phone. It was a Friday afternoom and both shops were busy. We'll see next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, were there two different radios fitted that year, one made by panasonic and one by becker, or was it just the cm1910

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,118 Posts
Many after market radios fits MB, but I don't think they ever shipped any Panasonic as OEM radio with any MB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the serial number was read correctly off the radio it should work, regardless of whether it was rebuilt or not. Perhaps your mechanic made a mistake or guy at the dealership.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I ask about Panasonic is that I saw this on ebay:

1999 - 03 MERCEDES BENZ Radio Stereo Tape CASSETTE C SLK CL S CLASS E420 E500 | eBay

Looks just like my radio but seller says it was made by Panasonic for MB. Also, although this looks just like my radio he does not list my car as one of the compatible models. My radio has a few worn letters and I was considering replacing anyway, especially now if the code gives me much more grief. Were the black case cm1910 made by Panasonic and the silver case cm1910 made by Becker like he says in that auction? If so are they interchangeable. Never heard of that before.

I could just pull the radio myself and use one of those online code hacks, but I dont have the removal tools to take out the radio and read the serial number. I may try that if dealer is unwilling to help.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,118 Posts
This is the first time I hear about Panasonic making OEM radio for MB.
Anyway go to the Dealer with prove of ownership (that means drive there in your MB to show them you are the owner) and they should be able to look up the code for you. They should do it for free if they want your future business.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>I could just pull the radio myself and use one of those online code hacks

Don't waste money for those hacks, they're all scams. Only MB dealer has the code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer fixed me up . Even moved a few cars out of the way to get mine in. Asked for registration and id, and sent me out the doors five minutes later with music playing. No charge.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
Hopefully you wrote down the code and have it stored with your other SL documentation for future reference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. Dealer gave me a code based on serial number and the code did not work. Dealer says that the serial number is A 163 820 13 86. This is off of the sticker on the case. The radio has SN AL 4110 Y 10 12634 stamped in the metal base. maybe the dealer used the wrong numbers? Any help would be appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts