Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade the stock Bose radio in my '98 E430. I'd like to know what options I have. Right now, my head unit appears to be the base Bose unit (unknown to me if it is Becker or Alpine), with a 6-disc CD-changer in the trunk. It works quite well, so I don't really HAVE to upgrade, but If there is an MB factory unit that has more features and integrates with my car, I'd love to explore this possibility.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a resource that lists the available factory options for my model year?
  2. Any ideas where I can find available units?
  3. What pitfalls should I avoid when changing out the units?
Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
479 Posts
Brian - I don't think you are going to be able to easily upgrade your system without spending a fair amount of time and money. It's a complex system, with the Bose speakers and amps matched. The head unit is by Becker.

All are good quality units. To get a dramatically improved sound would require basically gutting it and starting clean - new amps, speakers, etc. Anything else is just minor, IMO (like replacing a speaker, etc.).

There is an excellent iPod product that attaches to the back of your head unit. It replaces the CD changer and essentially your iPod becomes the new CD changer. It charges the iPod and you can control the iPod via the head unit, so it is a stealthy install. Well worth the $75. Sound quality is excellent (I have this unit in my car). I have no alliegance to this company, I just think it is a good product.

In Dash PC - Mercedes Benz 94-98 iPod adapter (direct digital interface)

Good luck.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
If it works, don't touch it. I've seen a lot of those head units go screw-ball and start "seeking" up and down channels on a random basis or having part of their screen just die. If you have a good one (which you do), then you are lucky. Stay with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian - I don't think you are going to be able to easily upgrade your system without spending a fair amount of time and money. It's a complex system, with the Bose speakers and amps matched. The head unit is by Becker.

In Dash PC - Mercedes Benz 94-98 iPod adapter (direct digital interface)

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. So, there is basically no easy way to retrofit the Audio30 APS unit?

BTW, thanks for the info on that iPOD retro. That looks cool.

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Head unit upgrade.....

I also needed to replace my radio, it was acting funky..... Because I have A Bose system also, I was leery after investigating online and getting the same old..( you must replace the whole system ) reply from the car stereo shop ! Somewhere I found someone who said a standard head unit will work but might not sound as good unless it can regulate the output voltage to match the Bose Amp...... SO, I bought a JVC HD1 head unit and adapters from Crutchfield to give it a shot, they have a great return policy if it did not work. WELL, It works awesome, it sounds great with excellent bass and no issues at all..... I even have great MB Quartz speakers that I bought thinking I would need to replace the stock Bose speakers and the amp. They are still in the box ! somewhere in my basement......! I Paid the extra $ for the Ipod controller and removed the CD changer from the car... Now I have all my music hiding in my console and controlled from the JVC head unit........ Try It.... You Will Like It........ or , send it back to crutchfield for a full refund..... OR, waste a ton of money thinking you have to upgrade the whole system.... Remember, nothing ever works till someone tries it ! Good Luck !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts