Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a great forum. My Benz radio in my 1992 500 SL was playing find. As a receive a call on my cell phone, I turn my radio sound down for 1 hour while driving and talking on my phone. Stopped the car and turn of the engine and 1 hour later a restarted my car, now sound or static is heard on my radio but any FM or AM station are not heard. My antenna is up. Any solutions for trouble shooting my problem......
Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi Carl my first thought might be that some leads disconnected from the radio to the antenna or got loose somewhere so first thing I'd do I'd take the radio off and check the connection between the radio and the antenna socket.
You never know.....

Good luck and cheers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
msbarsi said:
Hi Carl my first thought might be that some leads disconnected from the radio to the antenna or got loose somewhere so first thing I'd do I'd take the radio off and check the connection between the radio and the antenna socket.
You never know.....

Good luck and cheers.
thanks, msbarsi. I will try that to take the radio out and check those antenna leads but one more question how do I take the radio out....

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
carltwo said:
Hi everyone, a great forum. My Benz radio in my 1992 500 SL was playing find. As a receive a call on my cell phone, I turn my radio sound down for 1 hour while driving and talking on my phone. Stopped the car and turn of the engine and 1 hour later a restarted my car, now sound or static is heard on my radio but any FM or AM station are not heard. My antenna is up. Any solutions for trouble shooting my problem......
Thanks,
Carl
Usually when you completely lose both AM and FM it's the tuner in the radio that has gone bad. You still need to check the antenna. The best way to check the antenna is to pull the head unit and plug in a different antenna (this is what any decent installer would do at a shop but he would have extra antennas in his inventory). You don't need to mount the test antenna just plug it in and see if you get anything that will validate the tuner is still good (again, not likely).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Radio sounds, but no FM/Am stations are heard.
Thanks for all the help everyone. As I was just trying to find the radio keys to pull out the unit to check the antenna connections, yesterday I talk to my car and guess I gave it a little love and this morning my Fm/Am tuner is working fine. However I'm going to place a nice up to date sound system as I drive the car daily.
Thanks again everyone for your help.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts