Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 sel
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I installed a set of chrome rings around my gauges, and haven't driven the car since then. Today I got in and my stereo only works with the drivers door open as soon as the lower switch on the a pillar is depressed the stereo cuts out no power at all. I can't see what the cluster has to do with it but thats all thats changed . This is an aftermarket system but it's been installed for years. Also I noticed a buzzing coming from the right side kick panel but that could have been there always and with the radio on I didn't notice. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,254 Posts
Your radio problem may not have anything to do with removing the instrument cluster.

I don't see any reason for the door switches to interfere with your radio wiring (or the instrument cluster...).

I'd take the radio out and check all the wiring.

Any idea who did the radio installation?

To replace the Becker radio you pretty much have to re-wire the entire sound system. A lot of installer don't take the time to do that properly and leave a godawful mess for the owner to sort out. :(

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Sounds almost like your dome light power is hooked up to the radio. I believe your upper switch on the pillar is for the power seats. When you pulled out the cluster, could that have pulled some speaker wiring or power/ground to the radio? A shorted speaker wire light cause the radio to shut off or not function when turned on.

·
Registered
1986 560 sel
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply axel. I'm not ruling out the stereo as the problem however the only thing thats changed is the work on the gauge cluster , the car has been in the family since new and the alpine head unit was installed years ago and has worked perfect. Does anyone know what function the lower switch on the a pillar has ,perhaps it shares a common ground on the cluster and the stereo :confused: I'll check it out tonight. I'll keep you posted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts