Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory radio has an unusual problem with the radio. The volume is dfficult to control, in that if I try to turn it down it goes full blast. Has anyone else had difficulty with the volume control? Iim thinking the only fix is to replace the radio. Mechanic says he will install another one for $50. I'm sure Fast Eddie in Boston has used radios. I prefer keeping the radio original. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1999 Black S320.. 278,000 and still pulling strong
183 Posts
theres a thread on here with a fix to that.. i beleive u take a little bit of that wire dryer spray and spray it under the knob.. search for it you will definatley find it

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
It's your knob (!)

haven't heard of the spray doing squat. it's a sealed unit, like a potentiometer or something. don't quote me on it though..

regardless, you buy a cheap radio off ebay, doesn't have to even have the code, and you exchange the faceplate into your radio. with any luck you will get a working volume control.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's your knob (!)

haven't heard of the spray doing squat. it's a sealed unit, like a potentiometer or something. don't quote me on it though..

regardless, you buy a cheap radio off ebay, doesn't have to even have the code, and you exchange the faceplate into your radio. with any luck you will get a working volume control.
I assume you mean buying a cheap used MB radio. Do you know if th efaceplate can be exchanged without removing the radio? I will also try the other suggestion.

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Had this same problem a while ago. Purchased and sprayed the aforesaid spray into the hole with the knob removed AND replaced the knob. Has worked like new since! Very inexpensive all around.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
If that doesn't do it, there's always :

(model 1692, I presume - the following appears even for 1692 radios)

exchange_vs_repair

If they can't fix it, no one can.

My radio does the same thing. If I turn the knob one click at a time about a second apart, it usually does what it's supposed to. But that semi-melted-looking knob is what I really can't stand.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I assume you mean buying a cheap used MB radio. Do you know if th efaceplate can be exchanged without removing the radio? I will also try the other suggestion.
you have to remove the radio.. yep cheap, typically locked when a junkyard pulled it off a dead car or a careless owner who upgraded or didnt even care for it...

i got one for under 20 delivered and another for 14.99 with free shipping (only bidder). so basically both for under 20$. score!

then i see some selling for 250+ and laugh. oh well.

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
439 Posts
Bad Volume Increment Sender

That is a common problem with these radios. The problem is a bad Volume Increment Sender. The only way to completely fix the problem is have it replaced. Usually about 100-120 bucks.
You can send it to Ed Eble at Becker North America. Just google it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts