Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S500 Grand Edition
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Posted about this in audio too but didn't get response.

My radio (all modes) does not play sound out of nowhere. It was static and fuzzy at first now no sound. The head unit still has display.

Did my amp go or is it the head unit? Please shoot me some advice and how hard it would be to fix on my own

Thanks a lot appreciate the help

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
I dont think that the AMP just lets go like you describe ,there is a warning before it does completely give up , i think it is your Radio that has become defective all in one hit ,here is a sloution of what i would do if i didnt have another spare radio to test with , if you have the chance pull the radio out then go down to your MB wrecker (or any friend etc ) that has the same or a radio that will fit your CABLES harness (most do ) ,test it .
While the radio is out ,check the little tiny fuse behind it before you go anywere .
If you dont know how to pull the Radio out check the video below out ,i think that is the Radio that comes in your 99 GE model, if not ,the procedure is all the same for all the radios installed in 140's .:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
The radios that came in 1991-2-3 cars are a two-piece sound system that is terrific. The radios that came after them is a one-piece system that also sounds good. There is no amplifier in a GE.

Send your head unit to Becker Repair in New Jersey. They do a great job restoring all the features of any MB radio. Like new. At a very reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1999 S500 Grand Edition
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh so i do not have an amplifier in my car then? I have a friend in the car parts business I can try testing it out by pulling mine out.

Thanks for posting the video!! I figured there was a key involved. I guess I need to find one of those online now.

I appreciate both of you helping me out as I would have been looking all over for an amp and maybe even woulda bought one on ebay.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts