Registered
2001 SLK 230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
SLK 230 2003
17 Posts
I see a lot of people choose the VW wiring harness, but Crutchfield offers up the Range Rover version for the R170.
Receiver Wire Harness For select 1994-08 Chrysler, Land Rover, Mercedes, and Saab vehicles at Crutchfield.com

My apologies if it's been discussed, I'm just curious, as it appears my old-school Blaupunkt is going to be plug-and-play. Gotta love German commonality!

I may order one for when I get tired of the old Miami CD127.
Chris, I installed a Sony radio a couple months ago in my 2003 SLK 230. I chose "Metra 70-1786 Radio Wiring Harness for Benz90-Up/Landrover99-04 Prem" and it fits perfectly! $12 from Amazon.

I have a review over there on how to install. Be careful if you install aftermarket radio! You might not want to use the RCA plugs which came with it since it will create an annoying popping sound! There's a guide somewhere over here on how to install the radio with pictures! I got rid of my stock MB Radio and CD Changer since I'm using a 16gb USB Flash drive =D

Amazon.com: Metra 70-1786 Radio Wiring Harness for Benz90-Up/Landrover99-04 Prem: Electronics

I'll copy my review to over here so you can read. Hope that helps!

I bought this wiring harness to install a new radio in my Mercedes 2003 SLK 230. It's the right piece!
I don't know about other Mercedes' by my SLK 230 required switching of Yellow and Red wires (it might be for others too). It's a battery constant and ignition. Also, I installed SONY stereo. Now the thing here is that it will depend on stereo whether it will turn on or not without ignition. The way these new stereos are designed is that they won't turn on if you don't turn you ignition on, so you don't forget to switch your radio off and save your car battery =) I was really confused about that. Of course, you can connect without the ignition wire, so it's always stays on, but I don't mind keeping my key in position 1 when listening to radio. This way I know that I won't forget to turn my radio off. The ignition function is a memory for new radios, so it saves your presets and settings.

In addition, on SLK 230 there are only two front speakers! (Rear ones are low-frequency, aka subs) They way Mercedes designed(I don't know why) their amplifier is that front and rear speakers are connected parallel and the amplifier does all the job - automatically allocating low and high frequencies to back and front speakers. Stupid, right?! It took me a lot of reading to understand.

So, if you take the bottom pinout, all you need is 2 pair of wires in the middle (left and right speaker). Blacks are negative and color-coded are positive ones. (This is for SLK only. My friend had a 4-door sedan and he needed all of them!). After installation just go to settings and set everything to FRONT or ALL but not the back. (you will hear nothing ig you set it to back =) )

One more thing, when you connect via RCA plugs you may hear an annoying popping sound every time you play with the menu or switch it on or ofF. Don't get scared! I simply cut off the RCA plugs and soldered it to my new radio harness speaker wires. (Hint: cut off pins from RCA plugs so you can solder them on to your new radio harness and put them back in place into plastic harness assembly so it looks neat) You Don't need to cut any of your stock harness!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed info!

I'm pleased with the overall sound just needs more bass and better features in the head unit.
One of the things I plan to do is add a true subwoofer in the trunk (10" Infinity Kappa Perfect) so I may bypass/remove the stock amp completely or just add a dedicated sub amp.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
SLK 230 2003
17 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info!

I'm pleased with the overall sound just needs more bass and better features in the head unit.
One of the things I plan to do is add a true subwoofer in the trunk (10" Infinity Kappa Perfect) so I may bypass/remove the stock amp completely or just add a dedicated sub amp.

Thanks again!
Was glad to help! Remember, the stock amp is located in the passenger seat well. There were instruction on how to access it. And don't forget to check the resistance and load of the stock Bose speakers for the compatibility with your aftermarket sub. You might want to change them too. That's just my opinion since Bose is picky.

I'm not a fan of a loud sound so the stock Bose system works fine for me :thumbsup:

But anyways, if you're planning on doing it, can you post some pics when you install the sub? That would be great!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sub will be run by a dedicated amp from the RCA outputs from my old Blaupunkt deck.

The plan is to build a custom box under the spare tire, using the spare as a grill.
some MDF, some fiberglass... I'll be sure to post pics. Not really a pressing project, but it's on the list.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugged up the Blau, works a treat!

It has 1/8" input, doesn't look bad in the Benz and is a direct plug-and-play - literally, unplug the stock deck, plug the factory Mercedes wires into the Blau and it works. Can't really beat that.

Well, I want to replace it soon with a Blaupunkt Toronto 420 (which also appears to be plug-and-play):

Spare didn't fit over the sub like I'd planned. Changed the plan.
Took this:

Old sweatshirt as a base, then several layers of chop-mat to follow.

Fully removable and the spare is still under there.
Getting close, but not quite done. I lost the storage space of the indent in the carpet, but I think that's a fair trade for some quality sub bass.

I've got an old-school Pioneer GM-X702 amp to run the sub for now.
Like this:

·
Registered
SLK 230 2003
17 Posts
Looks great! You did an awesome job! But how did you manage to fit the tire under there??? And how did you secure that box? I'm just wondering in case you need to take the spare out...
I was looking at Blaupunkts the other day and noticed that they're designed for German cars connections =) There are not so many of them on the market as you may see, but the features seem to be rich and the plug-and-play makes it even more nicer!
Congratulations on your new install!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda hard to tell in the pics but the fiberglass part fits down in the upside-down spare.
The box isn't attached to the car, it just lifts out. Thought about having some tabs welded in so I can bolt it down, but it's not going anywhere unless there is a catastrophic accident.

I ended up with a Sony deck too. Bought from a member and already wired up for the SLK.
MEX-3900U, BT, iPod, all that. Love everything about it except the face only has 2 colors and the USB is only on the front. Easy to live with considering the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts