Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
235 Posts
I think for now I am just going to upgrade the stock speakers to Rockford Fosgate 14x2 a 4 channel amp and Bluetooth JL Audio MBT-RX. I typically just use my phone for music. The stock radio will still work and the phone connection will be invisible. 2 channels for the Radio and 2 for the BT. Like to have some larger speakers in the back but very hesitant to put speakers in the storage rack. I want anything added to be invisible. May change my mind later but will see how this sounds to start. I just need a decent sound not blaring or vibrating windows. The stock Becker with the factory speakers is awful.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Refurb'd Becker installed. Works like new. Even the cassette. Best of the Hollies BTW.

·
Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
328 Posts
Got the radio back today. Becker AutoSound was kind enough to return with a Security Screw. Since it didn't have one when I removed it I looking for correct installation. See pictures below. Does the flange of the rubber part go inside or outside of the bracket. Thanks.

Bracket
View attachment 2703112

Security Screw attached.
View attachment 2703113

Unattached.

View attachment 2703114
The screw with rubber grommet on the right side should just slip into the groove in the metal flange to stabilize the rear of the radio unit. You should just have to install the screw when the radio is halfway in, and once the screw/rubber grommet is in place, simply push the radio all the way in.

·
Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
328 Posts
I just sent my Becker 612 off to Becker Auto Sound for refurb. The volume control didn't respond; constant volume. I requested replacement of the cassette drive belt and ensure its operation along with ensuring all else worked properly. Plus, I requested Blue Tooth. Yes, the "sound systems" in these cars are decidedly lacking in stock form, but I like stock. Only might swap factory speakers for same size new speakers.

·
Registered
1986 560sl
1 Posts
Has anyone swapped in the speakers Becker sells?
Yes, and they are great. The mercedes dealership that installed them said it was a tight fit but they do sound excellent. I also had the Becker original radio modified with the Blue Tooth option that Becker offers. It works perfectly with the original radio and now I can listen to anything on XM/Serius or downloaded playlist on my phone. I'm a purist and want all original on my 560sl and Becker has saved me from having to find a different radio that sounds great and original!

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
235 Posts
How are you connecting the BT receiver? Andy
The JL Audio MBT-RX. connects directly to the amp. 2 channels for this and 2 for the Becker with a line out converter and with remote turn on. Bridge output. Plan on just turning on Becker to turn on to switch Amp on to use BlueTooth. Probably never use Becker but it will still work.
Will see how this works out. I may change my mind about rear speakers

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
PO installed Pioneer speakers and second amp in the Parcel Shelf. Sounds good. I never hear the front speakers.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
1,232 Posts
The JL Audio MBT-RX. connects directly to the amp. 2 channels for this and 2 for the Becker with a line out converter and with remote turn on. Bridge output. Plan on just turning on Becker to turn on to switch Amp on to use BlueTooth. Probably never use Becker but it will still work.
Will see how this works out. I may change my mind about rear speakers
What device is used for the remote turn on? Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
235 Posts
What device is used for the remote turn on? Thanks, Andy
The line output converter. Most if not all of them have remote turn on that you connect to your amp. You have to have a line converter to use a car radio unless it already has ports for an amp.
The JL MBT-RX does not have a remote turn on so I will use the Becker for that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts